Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts bilyahn's Avatar

HP-4000T jamming tray 2

When feeding from tray two the feed roller reverses and paper is pushed back into the tray causing a jam. Replacing the torque limiter an rollers did not fix the problem. Anyone know of other possible causes? Thanks.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    HP-4000T jamming tray 2

Does the tray pop open by itself? I've seen a couple of trays that the latching feature is worn out. Replacing the tray solved the problem for me.

The customer thought the machine was possessed. When I first arrived the customer told me that whenever they attempted to print that the machine pushed open the tray wanting more paper. Well it didn't want more paper, but sure enough, the tray popped open by itself every time. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    HP-4000T jamming tray 2

4000 p/u problem

I agree with blackcat, but there is something more common you should check first.

Make sure that the paper stop in the tray is not broken or the leaf spring under it too weak to hold it. Sometimes the stop slides back a bit and not enough paper comes into contact with the feed roller. The pick-up roller will pull the paper almost to the feed roller and the sep. roller kicks the paper back into the tray. Don't forget to check the p/u rollers (4 d-shaped rollers that sit behind the feed roller.) You can replace the whole tray or repair the tray. RF5-2670 Paper Stop, RB1-8951 Leaf Spring, or C3122A 500-Sheet Tray.

As for the tray coming out issue, there is a tab in the feeder frame that holds the tray in as well as the sides of the tray. Sometimes the tab gets broken. If it does and your customer insists they want it fixed (as opposed to replacing the printer), you'll have to replace the left feeder cover. It actually has a compression spring behind the tab.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Coke in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!".

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    HP-4000T jamming tray 2

oops I just noticed that you put 4000T. 4000T's have 2 trays that hold 250 sheets not a single 500 sheet tray. I've normally only seen this issue on the 500-tray units. It can still be the paper stop, but this is pretty rare. Swap the tray from tray 3 to tray 2 to see if the problem goes away. If it doesn't go away, the tray doesn't pop out or the tab in the upper feeder isn't broken, then you'll have a p/u issue. Make sure you change the 4 D-shaped rollers and the only other thing is the tray 2 p/u asm. Try to get the client to replace the machine. It's pain to get to that p/u asm, because you have to split the printer in half like you're going to replace the engine board and come in from the top of the feeder unit. (good thing it's not tray 3). C4126A 250-sheet tray
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Coke in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!".