Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts

how do you input serial number

I need to input a serial number for these machines, HP LJ 1200, p2015, and 1320. I am told HP toolbox.
    Which is as far as I know just the embedded server. I didn't see anywhere where I can change it when I was looking at the 2015 or the 1320. So how is this done? I had replaced the formatter boards.
    Thanks

Yes, usually on these printer you do it thru the HP toolbox...

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Do I need HP toolbox installed on my computer for each machine or is it just their embedded server, such as just open a browser and type the IP in it? In other words do I have to have any program to do it or just open a browser. I have just opened the browser say for instance on the 1320, and I see the machine etc, but I dont see anywhere to input the serial number. I guess I am not clear on exactly what the tool box is. Is it just a fancy name for embedded server? I have used the browser to change jet direct items with no special program. Even telnetted into a jetdirect card. Can a person telnet into a printer? Haven't tried that yet.
    Thanks

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Changing Serial Number P2015/1320

HP Toolbox is with the driver CD that came with the product, or you have to download the driver that says "full print solution" from HP's website. Either of those will have it. Some people have reported that they could not change it.

There is supposed to be a way of entering commands from the PC, but I've never had to do it (Thank God! Doing it for a 2200 back in the day was bad enough, since HP had one of the command lines in their service manual wrong and it took me a while to find it out.) and don't know about sending it via USB vs parallel port (didn't think you could do it via USB, but I don't know everything). Additionally, it is possible to do it through Web Jetadmin. I think I saw instructions via HP's forum site. Try putting "change serial number p2015" in Google. Below is what I found:

Changing page counts: HP Community - P2015 PJL command for resetting Page count - Enterprise Business Community | HP Online Forum

Changing serial number: HP Community - Laserjet p2015 serial number, page count,service i... - Enterprise Business Community | HP Online Forum
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Coke in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!".

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    This great news, Thanks. I see now how I can do it, with commands. Thanks so much, I will continue and see what I can do and get back with results. Might take a day or two to get it together and go try it.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    I haven't done it yet as I haven't found the right command yet. But thanks to the info it is PJL for printer job language. Somewhere in that mess has to be a way.

I posted this recently and it does apply here as well:
    I found this set of commands for serial number & page count. I haven't tried it, so I don't know if it works. Please reply either way to help us:

%-12345X@PJL JOB
    @PJL SET SERVICEMODE = HPBOISEID
    @PJL SET SERIALNUMBER =
    @PJL SET PAGES =
    @PJL SET SERVICEMODE = EXIT
    @PJL EOJ
    %-12345X

or

%-12345X@PJL DEFAULT SERVICEMODE=HPBOISEID
    @PJL DEFAULT SERIALNUMBER=XXXXXXXXXX
    @PJL DEFAULT SERVICEMODE=EXIT
    %12345X

Also these commands must be sent via USB not FTP. They can be sent via LPR command to the IP address. For more information to understand how to implement these codes, it is possible to download the PJL Reference Book (google it). Please reply whether or not it works and what you did, so it will benefit others.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Coke in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!".

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    wow thanks, I cant wait. I might even try that today.
    I will share the results. I can see a visual basic ap for this now.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    well the board has a usb and parallel. The usb doesn't work at all to print to as the board is bad on that section, but the parallel works. I tried using the command screen prompt to send the commands, but no go. Not sure if its because it is not true DOS in XP or just doesn't recognize the command. Maybe be easier to find a way to reset the serial to just xxxxxxxx. I did try the JPL enter code first etc. but it says in DOS that the command is not recognized. I also tried to send it as a print job. say from notepad, but still no luck. I have other printers here to play with so I can experiment. I downloaded the PJL manual and more info to try and figure this out. I think some of the machines just dont recognize the commands, since some machines are not programmed to accept them, and other commands are. I do believe there must be a magical HP command that probably will do any machine. How do they get the serial in the boards at the factory? I will continue to try commands on an HP 4000 I have here that I can do anything to I want to.
    Let me know if you have any other ideas.

did you enter the escape character in front of % symbol on the first line of code you enter?
    (there is no key for it)

according to the HP 2200 sm page 52 it is the following:

Lotus 1-2-3 (type)\027 027 (appears on the screen)
    word perfect for DOS (type) <27> <27> (appears on the screen)
    MS-DOS Edit (Hold down) Ctrl-P (then Press) Esc <-- (appears on the screen)
    MS-DOS Edlin (Hold down) Ctrl-V, (release, then press) [ ^[ (appears on the screen)

I hope that helps you. If it's different, I don't know it.