Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

erroe code HP laser jet 3800 error code 13-20

After initializing machine goes into error code 13-20 paper jam close front door

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

This Parts & Service manual can now be purchased for $11.77 and downloaded immediately after payment from The Internet's largest collection of manuals

Paul@justmanuals.com

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Cool Already have the manual

Paul like most HP manuals it stated a paper jam, This is undoubtedly a "part answer'. HP doesn't also specify that a 'false' paper pick up" or the paper pick up assembly does not lift the paper and transport it to the second sensor. Well this is what is happening. I cannot find the "main ingredient" of the how to in the Service manual on testing sensors and solenoids, Thanks for your help,Steve

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

13.20 is a general paper jam, however it usually is fuser related. If the printer goes directly to the error instead of going to ready, there is no paper debris in the path, it is likely a sensor/flag issue. If you want to begin throwing parts at the machine start with the fuser. If you want to do a bit more troubleshooting first, go to the manual sensor test (Yes it is a pain to use, but it can be helpful).

Go to page 232 in the service manual.

The 0's for each sensor indicate what it should be. You manually toggle each flag one at a time and check that the display changes to 1 for that sensor. The list of sensors for each letter is listed below that. If you need to know where the sensors are located in the machine, go to page 54. Start with the fuser & delivery area flags.

I hope this helps you. I'm sorry there is no magical fix. Most techs I've spoken to who've had problems with this machine would prefer to throw it out. This machine does have a lot of weaknesses. I work for a parts vendor and the most requested parts are: Fuser, Cartridge lock repair kit, LVPS, and paper tray. Other things I know about: If you have the covers off and the power is on, do not touch the HVPS or you'll pop it, if the formatter not seated properly (secured by clips only) you can get a blank display, and if you replace the cartridge locks and you don't follow proper procedure you can cause other errors. (If you ever have to install them, send me a PM and I'll email you color instructions.)
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Coke in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!".