Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    HP CLJ3505x various parts that have no part numbers

I've had a bunch of HP parts lately that have no part numbers. Can anyone help?

The first one is the plastic pickup roller drive shaft for tray #3. The keyed end is busted clean off. I'm sure I can MacGuyver it. I've replaced plastic shafts with comparable metal ones on HP before.

#2 & #3 are cause and effect. The white plastic glide on the right side of the lift plate in tray #2 is missing. As a consequence the sharp metal edge has gouged out a deep groove in the right side plastic cassette guide. The result is that tray #2 wont open. It get's stuck ~54mm out.

As far as I can tell none of these items has official HP part numbers. Anyone know different? =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

I'm working on it. Didn't want you to think I'm not paying attention to your post. The part number is not available with HP. It looks like the same one used in the P3005 Tray 2. It might be a different length, the pick-up roller looks the same, though. I let you know more when I know more.

If we can't find it, I would be interested in a MacGuyver. As cheap as the plastic is on these, I know we're going to get more requests for it.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Coke in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!".

Is there a part number on it? If there is we can try to get it.

I refurb the Tray 2 p/u asm for the P3005 (RM1-3762R). It comes with the pickup shaft. Maybe the 500-sheet feeder version comes with it? Nope. We have 1 in inventory. Includes everything but the roller drive shaft. Does the P3005 shaft fit on the 500-sheet feeder p/u asm? Yes it does fit, however there is no way of securing it and I bet the shaft is shorter. Maybe too short to work in the CP3505. I've taken some photos, which I will post around 3 PM, if you want to see them to see if it will work. The pick up rollers are different but the white plastic piece that is keyed to work with the roller shaft looks the same. Other than that, I can't help much, sorry. :'(
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Coke in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!".

Quote Originally Posted by prntrfxr View Post
    ...If we can't find it, I would be interested in a MacGuyver. As cheap as the plastic is on these, I know we're going to get more requests for it.
    It came out quite lovely. It's overbuilt, of course (all my repairs must pass the 10 dancing elephants test). It's machined from 3/8" cold roller steel rod. The keying to the pickup roller was the toughest part. It's one repair that I'll never have to look at again. I'll post a photo later.

It's impractical for more than once in a while, but fun to do.

How about the tray lift plate glide and right side cassette rail for tray #2? =^..^=

How about a new tray for the lift plate thingy? Just a suggestion...

As for the tray guide, HP CLJ 3600/3800/CP3505 are exactly similar. If you have an old 3600/3800 in shop (I scavenged the last parts out of the one I had and did not think I needed this part, sorry), you could take it off of it. If you hold the part up to the light and get a magnifying glass to read it, you may be able to find a part number on it. If you can, it may be possible to get it from Canon, when it's not available from HP.

I'll have to remember to check, the next time I see a 3600 series machine. This one has gone missing, so I don't even have pieces to examine. I'll check the left side when I return.

Here is the photo of the original and the replacement:

tray3 feed shaft..jpg

In the future I think I'll start with a piece of steel ~1/2" x 5/16" x 1/16". I'll slot the shaft at the keyed end and epoxy the rectangular insert into the slot. I tell you what, I'll fix the old one and post the result.

Thanks for looking.

Forgive these photos, please, they were taken with my cell phone as I didn't have my camera with me the day I took them. The CP3505 tray 4 PU asm does not have the roller shaft. (why??? Seems like that should be important.) The photos show what it would look like with the P3005 shaft in it. the keyed end fits. I don't know if it is long enough as I don't have a CP3505 to test it. I assume there is something to secure the shaft onto the unit or into the machine. The white bushing retainer shown on one end would have to be removed as it doesn't hold anything in. The part number of the shaft was in the groove.
    Attached Images Attached Images

It looks very similar. The right white bushing locks into a part of the metal frame. Did you list that part number? I didn't see it in your post. =^..^=

No, because the P3005 one we can't order, but it does come as part of the P3005 pick-up asm's I rebuild. I was just curious as to whether it would work and whether or not it was the same number as the P3005 shaft. If you had a junk P3005 in your bone yard or you wanted to get the P3005 p/u asm, instead of doing the MacGuyvering, maybe it would have worked. Of course, if you got some pleasure out of making a metal one, I guess that would work too. Especially since it didn't cost anything but time. Then again, time = money. Why HP sells a p/u asm without a roller shaft is beyond me.

I am befuddled by how few individual parts are available. On nearly every other manufacturer you can order every screw, every nut, every harness loom, Every conceivable part. It would be impractical to build a machine that way, but you could. This feed shaft seems particularly vulnerable, being made of plastic, and if the tire is out of time due to a jam the person removing a jam would be pulling against the feed drive by removing the tray.

I know. I'm over-thinking it. Just order a tray #3 assembly and to hell with the cost, for a $1.00 shaft. =^..^=