Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

3800 colour,poor quality with new cartridge (y)

I have a HP 3800 which asked for a replacement Yellow cartridge. When replaced the reds were replaced with magenta. I took another cartridge and fitted it myself to eliminate faulty cartridge and customer error but fault remained.When printing test pages yellow is there but faded, the weird thing is if I fit the original used cartridge and bypass replacement the prints are perfect !
    I have cleaned all contacts and when the new unit is fitted the machine recognises it as new. Any ideas would be Greatly appreciated.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Have you tried a new toner? Maybe you got a bad new yellow toner? If the old one works the new one could be defective. Is it oem or reman? I would visually inspect the cartridge and see if you notice anything broke or missing.

I have tried two new OEM cartridges and both produce the same fault but the worn out cartridge still produces a good print.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    3800 colour,poor quality with new cartridge (y)

The cartridge locks are known to break on this machine. Remove the cartridges and look inside on the right side. Slowly raise the transfer belt and you should see plastic hooks on the right side. One for each cartridge. One or more may be broken, which would cause the printer to display install cartridge message. If one is broken, you need to replace all 4. The Diagnostic menu has a Disable Cartridge Check that allows you to swap colors in the slots to determine if a problem follows the cartridge or stays with the slot. Additionally, the PQ Troubleshooting in the same menu will allow you to isolate problems by color. Hope this helps you.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Coke in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!".