Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

HP5550, size mismatch tray 1

Customer keeps letter paper in tray 2 and 3. Another person will use tray 1 to feed 11x17. The tray one size was set correctly, and type was set to "any". I switched the type to plain. The properties are correct. When she selects tray 1 as paper source, after spitting out a sheet, the machine keeps saying, size mismatch tray 1. If she tells it to look for the 11x17, it pulled and printed on letter from tray 2. Even after printing letter size docs, it still flashes size mismatch tray 1. Any ideas?
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

I'd make sure the switch on the tray is set to standard and not custom. You can control tray behavior from the System Setup menu in the Configure Device Menu. Make sure that whatever is set from the driver is the same settings in the printer. Hope this helps.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Coke in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!".

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Fix..........if you want a free copy of the service manual, send me an email.

Paul

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Ok..it is obvious I had a brain fart yesterday. (It can happen to the best of us, so why not to me. ) Anyway, there is no custom setting on tray 1 ...duh. I'm pretty sure you probably checked the settings, however, end users do not always check those things. I've never tried Ledger paper in tray 1 on this machine before, so I can't say I know how it's supposed to behave. As for the service manual, it doesn't tell you any more than what I put for that problem. Tray behavior settings may work, but it would have to be changed every time (end-users don't like fooling with settings). Maybe an optional feeder for ledger might work? Gee, I'm not helping you much am I?
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Coke in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!".

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by prntrfxr View Post
    Ok..it is obvious I had a brain fart yesterday. (It can happen to the best of us, so why not to me. ) Anyway, there is no custom setting on tray 1 ...duh. I'm pretty sure you probably checked the settings, however, end users do not always check those things. I've never tried Ledger paper in tray 1 on this machine before, so I can't say I know how it's supposed to behave. As for the service manual, it doesn't tell you any more than what I put for that problem. Tray behavior settings may work, but it would have to be changed every time (end-users don't like fooling with settings). Maybe an optional feeder for ledger might work? Gee, I'm not helping you much am I?

Ha Ha Ha... you got me. I went back and looked for the custom setting switch. Anyway, when I came to the realization it was not there, I retested the machine and it seemed to work correctly after changing the tray 1 type to plain from any.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking