Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    smo989
    First of all I want to thank you for taking the time to help out with this. I have about 5 of these all showing the same behavior.
    Did as you said. Here is what I have found
    When doing a config page, it appears that the best chance for success I have is when I take tray 2 out then put back in. I see the solenoid engage - the gear it was holding spins and the paper is picked. Everything is great. If I try to print another config page without taking tray 2 out/in I see the solenoid engage but the gear itself does not spin. I can clearly see that the solenoid has cleared the gear so it should spin an pick the paper, but it doesn't. The 13.01.00 error is then displayed on LCD. As far as I can see there are no broken teeth or anything obstructing the movement of this gear asssembly.
    Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

smo989
    Never mind. I just bought part RM1-0034, the whole assembly. We'll see if that fixes it.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    HP LJ 4350 Constant PJ 13.10.00

These machines have known issues with lift motors failing, bushings breaking, and inside gear breaking. The tray can be defective. Additionally, there is a compression spring in the pickup assembly that sometimes turns horizontally, that can cause jamming. Labels can get stuck in the space behind the tray 1 assembly. The solenoid can be bad. The main drive gears can be bad (unlikely). So there are quite a few things that can cause these issues.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Coke in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!".

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    HP LJ 4350 Constant PJ 13.10.00

It may help to understand the way sector gear pickup clutches work. When the pickup solenoid releases, a spring starts the sector gear to rotate ~4 teeth to engage an adjoining gear. The solenoid is immediately released, and stops the clutch after a single rotation. Sector gear pickup clutches are susceptible to 3) common problems:

1) The sound damping foam on the pickup solenoid can start to become sticky, delaying the release of the solenoid actuator. The clutch would then rotate two or more cycles, feeding a second or third page, causing a 13.01.00 jam.
    2) The spring that starts the sector gear is very weak, and delicately balanced against the strength of the solenoid and the friction of the pickup shaft bearings. If the pickup shaft bearings develop additional friction, the spring cannot start the sector gear or starts it slowly. The time delay can cause 13.01.00 jams.
    3) The keyed end of the plastic paper pickup shaft can break. When the paper pickup shaft turns, the pickup roller does not.

I apologize in advance for the crappy artwork. It's all I could find about the sector gear clutch:

Pickup Clutch.jpg

=^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=