Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Color Laserjet 4500/4550 nonsolid fading colors

I have an odd issue with both the 4500 and 4550 model. When a toner cartridge, say black, starts to get low on toner, it prints a super solid perfect shade of black.

When a new toner is put in, only about the first inch or two of the solid black backgound is pitch black and the rest is about a shade lighter.

My thoughts, the transfer belt is fine, otherwise it would never get the good solid colors. Obviously there must be a charge issue when the toner cartridges are full rather than nearing empty. What I don't understand is how the charge could be affected on the mag roller of the toner cartridge just because it has more toner in the reservior part of the toner cartridge???

Odd, any helpful thoughts out there?

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Are these compatible cartridges? Refills often get overfilled, so the toner can't agitate properly in the developing unit until some has been consumed. It could also apply to cartridges that have sat around a long time, and require agitation to break up the toner lumps.

Man, this is a 20 yr old printer. Sell them something new! =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    Are these compatible cartridges? Refills often get overfilled, so the toner can't agitate properly in the developing unit until some has been consumed. It could also apply to cartridges that have sat around a long time, and require agitation to break up the toner lumps.

Man, this is a 20 yr old printer. Sell them something new! =^..^=
    Haha, I know. They just keep running and running though. I do a thorough cleaning and greasing about once a year and they don't die. Toners are like $5.00 on ebay and I do a cpc on them so I do alright on them. I only use OEM on them. Maybe the supplies are just so old that they have the quality issue near the beginning of their life. It's only when they do solid blacks so maybe they should get a new machine for those types of jobs.

The sad thing is I'd be losing money on a new machine. I'll try shaking the toners harder before install.

Thanks.

OMD-227
    A long time ago, we had a client with one of these pigs. They used to put black tape over the toner remaining window to trick the machine into thinking there was plenty of toner left in the cartridge, then complain that the quality was low. Loved charging them for stupidity!

Quote Originally Posted by wazza View Post
    A long time ago, we had a client with one of these pigs. They used to put black tape over the toner remaining window to trick the machine into thinking there was plenty of toner left in the cartridge, then complain that the quality was low. Loved charging them for stupidity!
    Yeah they are toner dusting pigs. Especially with that wonderful purple toner when the magenta and cyan somehow mix together. I've heard of ppl doing that with some brother inkjets, if the ink was low the cartridge was clear and the sensor connected.

I know people are cheap and cut certain corners that they shouldn't be doing, but in all fairness colored toners shouldn't cost what they do, sometimes 4-5 times the cost of black.

In todays day and age, just about everybody is using color now and more devices and supplies are being sold than ever before. A color ink should be on par with black ink. It's price gouging plain and simple and it needs corrected at the manufacturer level.

A dealer should be able to sell most consumables on a color machine so that they can make a good profit at about a nickel per color page being charged to the consumer, given certain coverage contraints. I know there is another forum that this was a hot topic, but in short, I think it would be more profitable and easier with less waste if we had a movement where consumers paid for their supplies and not on a cpc program. Then they can print however or little ink coverage they want. Commercial printers are getting wise and charging ink surcharges on high coverage so we should too.

Anyway, so I'm not sure then if there's really a fix on this issue or not of the 4500/4550 printers. If the supplies are old that just may be the problem.

Thanks guys/gals.

Any further comments are welcome.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

I was responsible to rebuild a truckload of these machines before. I hate carousel machines, 'cause the toner flies everywhere. That's where you should begin. Completely blow out this machine (don't do this on customer site). I used to call these machines Skittles for that reason. When you blow them out you can almost "taste the rainbow". Blow out the laser scanner and the power boards (may have to remove one to get to the other) and clean all sensors and contacts. 90% of the time strange problems with these machines disappear after you clean them. Did you check the drum?
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Coke in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!".

Quote Originally Posted by prntrfxr View Post
    I was responsible to rebuild a truckload of these machines before. I hate carousel machines, 'cause the toner flies everywhere. That's where you should begin. Completely blow out this machine (don't do this on customer site). I used to call these machines Skittles for that reason. When you blow them out you can almost "taste the rainbow". Blow out the laser scanner and the power boards (may have to remove one to get to the other) and clean all sensors and contacts. 90% of the time strange problems with these machines disappear after you clean them. Did you check the drum?
    Drum is at about 26% but looks good. The lighter printer occured right when a brand new oem toner cartridge was installed. It's only when the toners start to get low that the quality improves again. Very wierd. I've cleaned them pretty good. Not so much the board but have done the laser unit.

I also have one where the image twists and is skewed about .1 cm. Very minor but I think it may be the drum or transfer belt drawer. I don't think there's much I can do about that though. I'll try another good cleaning and see what happens, but I'm sure as the toner gets empty it will print more "perfectly."

Thanks.