Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    HP CLJ3600DN ... strange

HP CLJ3600DN ... strange

OK, this is really strange. I guess I should start at the beginning.

The call reads "Only when printing for two users, some characters missing. And bring black toner cartridge." I thought this could be really easy. Black cartridge near empty, text in black, characters missing. Hmmm. Well the two users have piles of samples, and it's not what I thought.

User #1 is missing "Y", "K", and "X" on all documents printed from the Microsoft Office Suite 2007/ Server 2008. There is no space left where the character should be, the characters are just missing. "YyKkXx" prints as "ykx". User #1 primarily uses Excel.

User #2 is missing "f", "i", "q", and "t" on all documents printed from the Microsoft Office Suite 2007/ Server 2008. There is a space left where the character should be. "FfIiQqTt" prints as "F I Q T ". User #2 primarily uses Outlook.

The other 50 users are totally unaffected. The IT rep has uninstalled, then downloaded a fresh copy of the driver, then reinstalled. Rebooted the affected workstations and replaced the network cable. Damn, I wish all my IT contacts were this thorough.

It's related to the default font in server 2008, Calibri. If any other font is selected it prints properly. We tried copying the TrueType font from an unaffected workstation, but when placed in the Fonts folder does something even more interesting. The document appears normally on the monitor, but when printing all the letters of a word are overlayed in an unreadable stack, still missing the same exact specific letters. For today we changed the default font to Times New Roman. The IT rep will re-load the Office Suite tomorrow on one of the workstations. I expect it to work.

Very very strange. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    and you printed the exact same document from a working station, with no problem? Not from same program, same document? Just change the font in properties of print driver to a good old classic font.

OMD-227
    I've had a similar case before, with a client wanting/demanding a specific font that the printer just wouldn't handle by default. Everything else was fine, all other fonts printed fine.
    We changed the driver setting (font button) from Resident Font list to Download Font list, so the driver processed the font as an image, therefore printing this 'problem' font perfectly. Didnt need to change programs/software/cables etc etc.

Dave, I'd be checking that those 2 PC's have the driver settings correct in the Font button/tab if that HP printer has that option.

HP CLJ3600DN ... strange

Quote Originally Posted by mo0651 View Post
    and you printed the exact same document from a working station, with no problem? Not from same program, same document? Just change the font in properties of print driver to a good old classic font.
    Exactly. =^..^=

HP CLJ3600DN ... strange

Quote Originally Posted by wazza View Post
    ... Dave, I'd be checking that those 2 PC's have the driver settings correct in the Font button/tab if that HP printer has that option.
    I'll check into that. I'm assuming that would be most easily accessible from the web interface.
    prntrfxr: does this sound familiar?

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    HP CLJ3600DN ... strange

Never had this one. I would assume you would be talking about the truetype setting under the graphics tab?:

Doc1.doc
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Coke in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!".