Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts HenryT2's Avatar

4015 Not recognizing toner cartridge

We have a 4015 in the shop that will recognize the cartridge as a genuine HP cartridge, but, then displays ' Install Black Cartridge '. We have tried different cartridges, the sensor is good, and still getting the error. We are getting +5VDC on both pins 1 & 2 at J74 on the DC controller board.
    Has anyone had this problem? Any suggestions will be appreciated.
    "The Serenity Prayer" . . .
    God grant me the serenity to accept stupid people , the courage to not waste my time and energy on them , and the wisdom to know that I cannot fix STUPID .

Possibility: There is one round contact on the left side of the cartridge that looks like a oversize pin and should connect to the machine when cartridges are inserted.The contact provides bias to components inside the cartridge, such as supply Roller, Doctor Blade,etc. Should this supply not be established, the machine system will read that there is no cartridge in the cavity. All this can take place after the chip is read and when the machine is trying to initialize.
    Check such contact in the machine and inside the cartridges if need be.
    Hank
    Buenos Aires

Thanks for the suggestions, Hank. We tried that ...but, it did not help.
    We were finally able to get thru to HP. They decided that we need to replace the Formatter Board. We'll see if that corrects the errors, and up-date this post.
    God grant me the serenity to accept stupid people , the courage to not waste my time and energy on them , and the wisdom to know that I cannot fix STUPID .

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

This may sound silly, but are the cartridges the right kind (CC364A or CC364X)?
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Cartridges I use in the HP P4014 & P4015

This side of the woods I find the CC364A toner cartridge which is low yield and the CC364X high yield, both used in the P4015 . By design the CC364X will not normally run in the P4014, only the CC364A does.
    Never confronted a problem such as hinted here with the formatter, therefore I will look forward to learn how was it solved.Thanks

UP-DATE........

We did double check the cartridges and are using the correct ones.

We finally got in the formatter board that HP said would fix the problem. YEP......THEY WERE WRONG !
    Still getting the errors. Contacted HP again; now they say it is the PAG holder assembly. We had already tested this with the meter, and it appeared to function correctly: ( this assembly is located beside the laser ) It's on order and we'll try that next to see what happens and let you know.
    Hank and Blackcat... thanks for the input.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

This may or may not have anything to do with your problem, but at this point you may want to try just for fits and giggles.

Check the cartridge guides in the printer to make sure there are no obstructions or that they are out of position. It may prevent the cartridge from seating all the way in.

Remove any optional equipment (Jetdirect cards, opt feeder/trays, duplex unit, or HDD's). They can cause flaky errors to show up if they are defective.

Check the top cover to drive linkages as well.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Coke in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!".

Thanks Prntrfxr. We did check all the guides, and the printer was ' stand alone ', Jetdirect is enbedded.
    Today HP says it may be the the power supply. This makes more sense than the PAG holder assembly.
    Got those on order, so we'll see what happens.
    Thanks to all for the input and suggestions.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Henry, did the power supply fix this issue?
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Coke in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!".

Well...........Hey prntrfxr.........

How's things over in the east ?

" Henry, did the power supply fix this issue?"

NO : IMAGINE THAT !

We did find what we believe to be the problem....waiting on parts from HP to try this.......

On the mid-section , left side , there are two contacts that are under the toner cartridge ; Bias , or ground , tabs probably.

Well, we noticed there was only one , not two. While the end-user had this printer on-site, they possibly had a paper jam and bent this wire. We think that when they put the toner cartridge back in , the bent piece was pushed down completely under the mid-unit . No contact ... does not recognize the cartridge as being installed .

We will let you know how this works out when we get the springs ( HP does not have a part number...will have to make one up ... find the part ... then ship it to us .) That may take a while .

ANYWAY ... keep everything runnin' right over there .