Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts

HP M9040 Access Verification

Need some help. We have a M9040 out in the field with "Scan to folder" setup. When you go to use this function it says "verifying access" or along those lines and will show that for about 20 seconds before it starts to scan the file. This seems like an awful long time to verify the credentials with the server. We have other M9050's out in the field and they do not take this extended amount of time to verify.

I have not seen any settings on the printer that would affect the speed of this so was thinking it was more on the network side but I could be wrong. Any ideas or settings I could be missing?

The only thought I currently have is dealing with the IP address. When we first set the printer up default was DHCP for network settings and it grabbed a 192.168.1.xxx IP. The copy it was replacing was 192.168.0.xxx. After speaking with the IS they wanted the IP to reflect the same as the old copier. So it has now been changed to a 192.168.0.xxx and set to manual. The DNS is set to 192.168.1.1. When their IS setup the "scan to folder" for the path they used //servername/foldername and entered the credentials and domain.

If the server, dns, etc are on a IP range of 192.168.1.1 and the printer is on a range of 192.168.0.xxx could this be causing the delay to verify? I know a quick way to test would be to change the IP to a 192.168.1.xxx and see if it works faster. Only problem was the old copier had this address and did not appear to take 20 seconds to verify the access.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Found it. The user that set up the Scan to folder settings had the verify folder access box checked in the web browser.

I also found out through experimenting that if you have this checked and the printer is on the same IP range as the computer it will take roughly 10 seconds to verify (depending on network speed) but if it is on a different range it would take 20 seconds (again depending on network speed) with the verify box checked.