Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Color laser jet 4600 Won't print black.

Haven't seen this, could use some help. It will not print black when grayscale is selected. Just getting blank pages. A page with a small splash of color will print fine. Checked shutters, tested with print out of MS word. swapped EIO card with another, no effect. Print drivers are loaded on each computer but all computers are doing the same thing. Formatter?

Run alienation test and watch the alienation plates with the cartridges removed (you will need to trip the cover switch to do it while watching). In the upper position, all colors are engaged, in the middle position, no cartridges are engaged (cleaning or home position), and when in the lower position, only the black is engaged. My thinking is these plates are out of position/broken, but it moves up but not down. So only black is affected. Additionally, it may be the laser scanner for the black is bad or has an obstruction that prohibits shutter opening.

Print PQ diagnostic pages that print each color individually when troubleshooting this problem. The test mentioned above, is located in the diagnostic menu under component test.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Coke in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!".

I cheated the black shutter open, same result. I will try tests. Thanks

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Not the easiest thing to try, but I have had the lasers go out on this model. I believe all the lasers are identical, so you can try swapping the K laser with the M and test it out.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

I'm with prntrfxr. I've repaired those "alienation plates" before. It's just a cam operated mechanical linkage, that tips the black cartridge a few millimeters to develop the black image. There is a similar mechanism that tips all the color cartridges simultaneously to develop color images. It's all black plastic, so look closely for cracks or broken parts. Also check the cams. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Hey all, Thanks for the input. I did all the tests and inspected cams. Banging my head on table did not help either. I did find while I was there today a low toner on K message. Elite toner cartridge fixed it. I about fell over. The rebuilders added a couple of plates that contact the alienation plates. seems they don't line up right. WOW. Thanks all again!

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

It sounds like you took a look at those small "mushroomed" plastic posts that contact the alienation plates. On several of the compatible cartridges I've found those posts snapped off. I believe that the height of those posts is adjusted by that mushrooming process. The height of those posts is supposed to be between 6.5 and 7.0 mm. I've "adjusted" a few of these cartridges by added a few layers of self adhesive mylar to boost it up. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=