Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts

HP 1522nf says install black cartridge

there is a compatible cartridge in machine that works in an identical machine. I also tried another cartridge still the same message "Install Black Cartridge" I called HP they said it was the pickup device that makes contact with the drum. That part is not available. I removed the pickup device and checked it out, visual and electrically. It is working as it should. I cleaned the contacts on it as well. I have replaced both the formatter and the dc controller board, I have reset the nvram over and over. Just for kicks I removed the laser and checked it out too, all is ok. The drum drive does not turn but I am assuming it is because it sees no cartridge. At the moment I cant seem to figure it out, but I will keep after it, in the meantime does anybody have a similar situation happen to them and resolve it?

Re: HP 1522nf says install black cartridge

That can be a couple of problems... HV problems... tho... If im not mistaken about the machine lets start with the basics... remove the covers... remove the backside metal plate cover... looking to that uncovered area... look to the right/down side, at the very bottom there should be a sensor, that triggers the initial presence of the cartridge, verify if the plastic lever/arm that trigger's it is broken/spring came loose.

Good luck

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

On this particular model the contact device comes up to make contact with the drum chip as soon as you place the cartridge in the machine. I have dismantled the printer to remove that device to physically and electrically check it. It is ok. It plugs into the DC Controller. It is making good contact with the drum chip and has good continuity back to the DC Controller. I have also replaced the DC Controller and Formatter board. Still no luck. It has to be something simple that I am not seeing. Once back to work on Tuesday I will go over every inch of this thing until I see what it is. I think I have covered the basics. I think I need to look at the timing diagram if there is one to see what happens in what order. Wondering if something else is not working causing this error, also wondering if there is something else how it knows the drum is there. maybe the toner sensor if it has one, maybe it just goes by count. Whatever it is it is driving me nuts. we will all laugh about it when we figure it out.

Dude your going all over the place, take a deep breath and calm down... you think you covered the basics, to be exact you covered everything EXCEPT the basics...
    Geez you're already going on timing charts and whatnot...
    For starters your assuming very wrong things, the arm that touches the chip... who said its what detects the cartridge?! well... its not!!!!
    Let's try this again, since you didnt understood my last post... take a look at this picture:

Re-read my last post... take a look at this picture...
    The arm i signaled in red, when you insert the cartridge, it touches it... activating a photosensor, telling the machine the cartridge is in!
    Usually clients can be rough putting it in, breaking the flag or the spring jumps off, could also be a dirty/bad photosensor... but i'll go with the 1st option.
    Like i said before... start with the basics, and go from there.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

already checked that too, but I have yet to test the sensor itself. When I called HP they said it was the pickup device, I said they were full of it, cause I tested it. I went over the basics before I ordered the boards. (the basics as I saw fit to check to what I new about this machine). I am at fault with actually testing the photo-sensor which I will do now... hang on.... I stand to be corrected. The sensor is flakey. After testing it would change state,maybe, then not. Believe me I have done everything I could think of before replacing the boards as I am not a person to go around replacing boards for the hell of it. I do appreciate the help though, If I didn't need any I wouldn't of asked. I am not too proud to ask. For the most part I never ask. This particular machine I am not familiar with and never seen one before, not trying to make excuses but it does hold some weight. Its great to share resources, I hope I can return the favor someday with a question you might have.

Resolved thanks to heckotez: It was the sensor noted in his picture above...Thanks
    Here is what I found .... somehow somebody at the place of business had some work done and snipped off a wire tie. Well a 6 inch wire tie without the nubbin was laying in the paper path where the paper sensor flag is. The paper sensor flag would come to rest on the wire tie causing the actuator flag to just come to the point where it almost break the beam of the sensor. The sensor flag was not being allowed to move through its full spectrum because of the wire tie. Again it was a sensor problem caused by the wire tie. This came from an automotive dismantle place. Good Grief....
    Last edited by yourownfree; 07-09-2011 at 12:07 AM. Reason: include the reason why the sensor was not working

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    HP 1522nf says install black cartridge

Congratulations on a good find. Thanks for sharing. =^,,^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Im glad you got it sorted, and yeah congratulations to hp to totally (try to) throw you off on that one...
    The arm device that reads the chip as far as i know only serves to check estimated page counter for the cartridge/check if its original.
    On most models if the chip says 0% toner left... the machine will stop (if you remove the chip, i mean simply take it out of the cartridge... it will print, throwing only a cartridge warning).
    Furthermore all HP's i've seen the motor drive turns at startup, even if there is not a cartridge in the machine (after the initial motor check machine of course wont do anything else because of the lack of cartridge.)
    If the motor drive doesnt turn when you turn it on... theres usually a paper jam (or a false jam detected somewhere/broken sensor).

Once again glad you sorted it!

PS: you dont need to make excuses for anything!!! Something i learned... noone knows everything!!! i sure dont, there's NOTHING wrong with asking for help, or opinion, a client doesnt need a tech that "knows everyting", a client needs a tech that can provide a solution, regardless of how its done... your client doesnt give a crap how you got to fix it... its fixed! thats all he will care about

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Thumbs up Re: HP 1522nf says install black cartridge

MAN OH MAN Hekotez.

That was great. You went to a lot of time posting that. Hope when I have a problem you respond. Why to be dude.

Mr Bill