Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: DesignJet 130

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    DesignJet 130

DesignJet 130

I'm a laserjet tech and don't know this machine that well but a good customer ask me to service it.

Machine was offline and not powered on for about a year. It is printing ONLY Cyan when printing report after powering on. The cyan has lines and very faint. I tried to print windows test page and it came out blank. Panel indicating all inks are full and no blinking printheads or errors. Sounds & feels like the inks are full.

Are there any tubes or anything else that could be dried out or clogged? How do you clean and start-up a printer like this?

Also sometimes when first powering on there is a loud grinding noise after the carriage is parked all the way to the left. I don't think this is related but figured I would mention it.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Service Manager 250+ Posts

Re: DesignJet 130

Remove the printheads and soak the nozzles in warm water for about 10 to 15 mins.
    If this does not work replace the printheads.

Rob S

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    DesignJet 130

This Parts & Service manual can be purchased for $12.77 and downloaded immediately after payment from

http://www.justmanuals.com

Paul@justmanuals.com

The printheads are clogged... ink dried up on the exit of the injectors.
    Just like it was said before warm water is a good idea, windex works alright too so i heard... soak a paper tower and just let the printhead lay vertical on it.
    If you dont service inkjets a whole lot do that... then run a cleaning cicle... if it doesnt work just replace the printheads.
    If you service lots of inkjet's i recommend you to get an ultrasonic machine nothing better to get clogged printheads back into shape... a lil tap water... 2 or 3 mins and its alive again

As for the grinding noise... it MIGHT be somewhat "normal" as in lack of lube (ever after lubrication its still somewhat loud, but gets better)...
    See if i can explain it to you:
    When the carriage goes all the way to the left it tests the paper feeding part... theres an excentric gear/weel that controls the lifting of the paper... the tray is lifted by metal arms on a sort of shaft... that shaft goes all the way to the left side where theres another arm that is touching that weel... as the weel turns it squeeks... just put some lube around the weel where the arm touches it.

Im familiar with that machine, so if theres anything you want to know just ask away.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    DesignJet 130

Thanks for the replies. I will try what you said. I did see what looked like a ribbon cable but realized they were ink tubes. In the manual they refer to these tubes as RIDS assembly. It looks like they are clogged with dried ink in them, is this possible if machine sat for a long time?
    Thanks again

If you refer to that thick black spongy ribbon looking thing that goes from the front right onto the carriage, yes inside that are the ink hoses that feed from the cartridges onto the printheads.
    Answering to your question yes it is possible tho its not really easy for it to happen... i would start with the printheads, and only afterwards would move onto that part