Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Wild Bill's Avatar

P4515 Loud grinding shrilling sound "Drum Motor"

Yea thats how the customer put it and was quite correct!
    P4515 Loud grinding shrilling sound!

I isolated it to the drum motor. I tried another toner cartridge but the same thing. I then took it apart to see if there was any damage but nope. Put it back togethor and now works like a champ, (500 + pages). It had the latest firmware cuz I wanted to make sure. What the helk? Anyone see this?

Re: P4515 Loud grinding shrilling sound "Drum Motor"

Edit: sorry mistaken the printer model... by the way were the cartridges original ones?
    Last edited by hekotez; 07-12-2011 at 11:07 PM. Reason: correction to my post

All gears were done recently and fuser "I isolated it to the drum motor."

Completely disregard my first post, i was for one thinking on the wrong machine, and didnt fully understand your post, sorry again.

Going back to your problem... was the machine printing wile making the noise?
    In fact the motor can make a loud screaking noise... if it gets stalled.
    If so i see only reasons the motor is "tired" and doesnt have enough torque... or... wich leads me to ask... was the cartridge original?
    Could be the drum/dev roller on the cartridge too "stuck" to turn and putting too much stress on the motor.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    P4515 Loud grinding shrilling sound "Drum Motor"

I have seen the fuser drive go bad but I haven't seen too many of these to know if there are other problems. The good part is it's working fine now. Maybe something was out of position or debris in the gears dropped out when you took the machine apart. I've had plenty of fixes that just happened and I have no idea how or why. The interesting thing is going to be if the problem comes back. I've had plenty of 3rd party cartridges that squeeked or made loud squealing noises. I've even had a OEM one do it once.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Coke in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!".

Totally agreed.
    Just to add, this would be a remote chance but, if the connector of the stepper had a faulty contact it could provoke weird things... like if a phase was poor/missing or the phases timming was off sync it could/would make the motor "tremble" wile turning or not turn at all and just "vibrate" back and forth.
    Dont know if you unplugged it or not...

The cartridges are compatible (I dont Like em) But I have no choice. I do believe that motor got stalled on a bad toner cartridge an didnt reset untill I took it apart and turned it by hand because I used another "compatible and it still was sqealling / stalled. I have it in shop now and am testing the crap out of it. Thank you for all info. : )