Nazgul69

HP CM3530MFP 54.09 error in event log

Hi,

Has anyone had this fault in the event log of CM3530MFP.
    54.09 Drum phase sensor out of range
    Have tried cleaning sensors, changing drums, ITB and numerous calibrations. Printer works fine, but code displays intermittently.
    Service manager says to ignore, but i'm an engineer, so would like to investigate.
    Last edited by Nazgul69; 08-31-2011 at 09:52 AM.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: HP CM3530MFP 54.09 error in event log

Ignoring a problem rarely ever solves the issue. The service manual does not have this error in it and it's a relatively new printer, so unless someone has had this issue before, you're in new territory. In other HP color machines 54.09 error indicates a problem with the cyan home position sensor.

During calibration all the colors are aligned and drives are timed so that each color layers on top of each other in the same place. Failure in lining up the colors, results in blurry prints or color misalignment. The home position sensor failure would mean the printer may not see the position of the cyan drum to align it during calibration. Normally, I would tell you to calibrate the printer 3 times.

However, after examining the Theory section of the service manual, it appears that there is only 1 home position sensor (which makes no sense, but I'm not an engineer) and the printer calibrates itself.

In my opinion, 90% of color laser issues are related to the presence of toner or paper debris in a place it is not supposed to be. Therefore, begin by removing all the cartridges, fuser, and paper tray. Then, blow out the printer with compressed air. See if that resolves your issue.

The sensor is SR11. There is a manual sensor test you can do to see if that really is the problem. I will add the pages that apply as an attachment to this post. If that sensor is bad, HP doesn't sell the sensor, but you'd probably have to take the machine half apart to get to it anyway. I have included the instructions for the assembly removal and re-installation, as well.

I hope this solves your problem. Please, please, post a reply to what you did to resolve this issue, so everyone can learn and benefit. The forum is designed to go both ways. Not just help the person asking, but to help the one answering, too.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Coke in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!".

Nazgul69

Right, many thanks for the information.
    The problem is difficult to pin down. If a sensor was malfunctioning, the diagnostics page would indicate poor alignment.
    I had already changed the drum units, so I cleaned the drum contacts again front and rear. Still got errors. Cleaned the
    developer home position sensor and ITB sensor. Still fault. Cleaned out the two CPR sensors located below ITB sensor
    on right-side, behind the second transfer roller unit.
    Success! This has stopped the error being logged in the event log.
    I would still recommend changing drums (if available), and calibrating a few times, but it seems that these sensors are
    very sensitive to dust. Will monitor this machine for a couple of days to see if fault completely gone, but so far, so good.
    Again, thank you for the help. I am new to this forum, having been in copiers for 16 years now, and this has helped a great deal.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Thanks for the resolution. Best of all, it did not require changing the part! Glad that my post was at least able to point you in a direction. I've upped your rep accordingly.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Coke in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!".

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

I'm getting same problem but a 54.08 code, which cartridge would this relate to. The printer is in a hospital and I think I might see if I can take it into shop and blow it out. Are these sensors part of the cartridges?