Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Officejet pro 8500 panel lights flash and message turn off and on but...

Thumbs up Officejet pro 8500 panel lights flash and message turn off and on but...

When I try to turn off with power button on control panel it does not go off but comes back 10 seconds later with same flashing panel lights and message to turn off and on. I have been trying to get service manual from several sources but so far no luck. Downloaded user guide but no help there. Any help is appreciated including directing to someone with service manual download for sale or cd which contains this as well as many other of these type machine.
    I realize they are inexpensive machine with limited earnings on service but would like to explore possibilities anyway. Your help is very much appreciated. Frank/ActionPhotocopy

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Re: Officejet pro 8500 panel lights flash and message turn off and on but...

You need to count the color of the LED and length of the flashes (long versus short). I've got manual and can look up the sequence, but there are several sequences, and I'm not inclined to guess. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Thanks David. The flashes are green and are equally spaced in rapid succession and continous at a rate of about 3 flashes per second. How did you get service manual as I have tried man4u,yourmanuals,nodevice,smc,freemanuals.com etc? Frank

PS another problem I've had is getting manuals for shredders(Fellowes,GBC)

teckat found the manual for me. This is a Canon inkjet manual. I'm not sure if this will help you, but try this link: https://rs532l35.rapidshare.com/#!do...42D9296222|0|0

There is more detail to the sequence. Like "It stops mid-print, and blinks out a diagnostic sequence. (7) yellow flashes, (1) green flash, pause, then the same sequence again. If I power Off the paper will feed out and the rest of the print job will clear the queue."

If there are manuals for the shredders I've never seen one. Most of the shredders I see are throw-aways, though I've managed to piece together a couple from scrap. =^..^=

Thumbs up Re: Officejet pro 8500 panel lights flash and message turn off and on but...

Thanks David I was able to download the data but need a password to open it. At least I know that there may be Canon equivalents for Hp machines that i may be able to find manuals for. As far as the shredders I have serviced several of them and can make decent $ on larger ones Fellowes and GBC + Martin Yale have some shredders that are from a few hundre to several thousand dollars. I service a a GBC 5550X recently for over $600 w.part + a Fellowes C420C for about $375. Frank

I just downloaded that service as well as parts manual for Canon I9100 ?S520 series from freeservicemanuals.com, where I have an account, but they are nothing like the HP OJ PRO 8500. I will look into a Canon equivalent. That was one good thing about BLI. They would have a lot of the machines cross referenced. I have not subscribed to them in years as I found it prohibitive in cost. Frank

Thumbs up Re: Officejet pro 8500 panel lights flash and message turn off and on but...

I moved the carriage back and forth by hand and cleaned and lube the rail and cleaned the encoder strip. It runs now but getting colored background and vertical lining (cyan) when making black copy as a test. Cleaned printheads and seats etc. but still getting background. Frank

These desktop inkjets aren't overly complicated. Time to replace the printhead.
    The greatest risk is exceeding it's value, which happens very quickly. =^..^=