Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DesignJet 500

Re: DesignJet 500

Hi.

I cleaned the disk, before I installed the new roller encoder sensor and the error came up in the display.
    Then I install the old one and itīs work.

What I am gonna do is to clean the new one and see if there is some dust in it.
    I will come back with some update.

Imsdal

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    DesignJet 500

Quote Originally Posted by Imsdal View Post
    Hello.

I know this is an old question. But did you fix the problem.?
    I have a designjet 500 that show 81.01 papermotor.c 1587.
    I dont have the parts to change..but what can I do before changing the motor?

//Imsdal

just an FYI parts for these units are getting harder to find... might be easier to get them a new plotter

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

I would never throw out a 500. Those suckers are gonna last forever.

Another problem sometimes is in the motor. Not the motor itself, but if you take the motor apart, you'll see another encoder disk inside there. I've cleaned that and had it fix a problem.

Also, it's very possible that the new encoder sensor wasn't installed quite right???

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    DesignJet 500

I hate condemning equipment as well, but, it gets to a point where the unit just doesn't understand what the application wants to do. The latest firmware for the 500/800 is from 2009. GIS/CAD applications are still getting updated. We, as techs, would be able to figure ways around issues, but, your normal user just wants to hit print and have it print. They don't want to have to click this, then that, uncheck this box, etc.

DesignJet 500

I have a customer with 3 500s (2x42" and a 24"), all printed to using AutoCAD and the latest version. I've never had an issue with compatibility and to my memory have never updated the firmware on these printers. I did the math on the media usage on the 24"; it's been through over 2,600 rolls of 24x150 paper. These printers literally print all day long, sometimes over the weekends.

The best option to set (in my opinion) is to send the job as a bitmap in the driver. This takes all the work off the printer; no HPGL2 card needed, no extra RAM needed.. and the printer starts printing immediately instead of sitting there forever 'processing' the job.

Kiran
    Attached Images Attached Images

DesignJet 500

The other issue we run into all the time is the internal "IT" staff don't know a thing about drivers (or Windows for that matter). If a unit doesn't just print when the user hits print, it's immediately a printer problem.

Have one now that we are told drops off and on the network (LaserJet P1606). I just ordered a pulled formatter from Amazon. If it still does it after replacing it, the problem lies in the wiring somewhere (bad cable, bad wiring, bad switch port). I highly doubt the IT staff thoroughly checked other possibilities before saying it's a printer problem.

DesignJet 500

Quote Originally Posted by Kiran Otter View Post
    I have a customer with 3 500s (2x42" and a 24"), all printed to using AutoCAD and the latest version. I've never had an issue with compatibility and to my memory have never updated the firmware on these printers. I did the math on the media usage on the 24"; it's been through over 2,600 rolls of 24x150 paper. These printers literally print all day long, sometimes over the weekends.

The best option to set (in my opinion) is to send the job as a bitmap in the driver. This takes all the work off the printer; no HPGL2 card needed, no extra RAM needed.. and the printer starts printing immediately instead of sitting there forever 'processing' the job.

Kiran
    are these things really profitable? There was a guy who rented some space in our shop to work on plotters and he drove an Escalade

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

Profitable to whom?

I'm carving out my living on them. Most techs don't want to learn these, so it's a niche market. Right now, I'm the only one in my area. I drive pretty far to work on them, but I charge for that. I have different rates to work on designjets (as opposed to laserjets). With laser printers, I just charge by the job--a flat service fee. With designjets, I charge by the hour, and will include travel.

DesignJet 500

I have my own company and I only repair the HP Designjet printers. I don't do laserjets or copiers, or other wide format brands. And like theengel, I'm the only person in the area that works on the Designjets (that I know of.) I think I do alright. There's peaks and valleys in my workload, but I like it that way.

Anytime someone is faced with a few hundred to repair, versus several grand for new, they always go for the repair. Though I will talk people out of repairs on a printer that's a lost cause.

Kiran

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    DesignJet 500

Quote Originally Posted by JR2ALTA View Post
    are these things really profitable? There was a guy who rented some space in our shop to work on plotters and he drove an Escalade
    don't judge a man by his leased car. he might be living in a cardboard box.