Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: CM 6030/6040 Display? Formatter? DC Controller?

had this last week and as mentioned it was the dimm on the formatter board causing blank screen. ordered up and sorted, all ok

Service Manager 250+ Posts

I've had a formatter do this.. I have a formatter right now that just hangs up on 6/6B right now... these hP's suck as far as electronics go. Just looking at them the wrong way will cause a formatter or controller to go. I cringe everytime I have to turn one off to reset a counter, you never know if it will boot back up properly. If it's blank with no fan, then it's usually the dc controller.

Technician
    CM 6030/6040 Display? Formatter? DC Controller?

Well, here is an update from the land where Rage reigns supreme.

Received the DC controller board and installed it in the one machine that was working until I put the non-working machine's formatter into it and killed it. No Joy. What is worse now, despite having triple checked all the connections is that the second machine has developed the unpleasant new symptom of not printing the Engine Test anymore.

I have brought the original machine back to my office and am currently contemplating whether I should disassemble the unit with a screwdriver or a sledgehammer ...

Will keep you updated.

Technician

Well, when all is said and done I am stuck at Formatter, but I still can't figure out why the good formatter failed to work once it was reinstalled in the working unit.

Oh, and to make matters worse, the client told me that it was "... irresponsible and unprofessional of me to test the board in that manner. I should have tested it on a unit in my office."

How do you even respond to that?

Technician

<Insert extremely vulgar and unbelievably inappropriate string of obscenities here>

New Formatter, no luck

Unit does not have removeable firmware

any suggestions?

BTW, I am out $2000 on parts at this point.

koston

Quote Originally Posted by TonerApe View Post
    <Insert extremely vulgar and unbelievably inappropriate string of obscenities here>

New Formatter, no luck

Unit does not have removeable firmware

any suggestions?

BTW, I am out $2000 on parts at this point.
    Replace in order:
    RAM on formatter
    Formatter
    Control panel

I think sometimes if you use the other slot for ram it doesn't detect it properly? I can't remember.

I've had control panels go while working on a machine without even touching it.

If your fans etc are working, more than likely not the DC controller. Those 3 parts i listed have fixed it everytime I have had this issue...which is about 30+

Technician

Unhappy Re: CM 6030/6040 Display? Formatter? DC Controller?

Quote Originally Posted by ucinn View Post
    I've had a formatter do this.. I have a formatter right now that just hangs up on 6/6B right now... these hP's suck as far as electronics go. Just looking at them the wrong way will cause a formatter or controller to go. I cringe everytime I have to turn one off to reset a counter, you never know if it will boot back up properly. If it's blank with no fan, then it's usually the dc controller.
    I had that problem today.Hanging on 6/6B. The customer leaned on the top finisher tray and it popped off.I got it back on ok but it wont come to ready now.....ruined my day !!

Had this on a couple of occations. The scanner control board has the same Dimm as on formatter. swap the Dimms if it powers up with a scanner error you have a faulty Dimm.

Quote Originally Posted by hillbilly View Post
    Had this on a couple of occations. The scanner control board has the same Dimm as on formatter. swap the Dimms if it powers up with a scanner error you have a faulty Dimm.
    Hate to revive a dead thread, but this has a lot of good info on an issue I just ran into (these 6040's are insane when it comes to hanging/freezing/etc.).

The DIMM on the formatter and the DIMM on the Copy Process Board (upper portion of the back of the machine) are the offenders 90% of the time. Part number is Q7559A.

Also attaching a quick troubleshooting guide I've found for the "start up countdown" in case it freezes during that.

6040 Boot Guide.pdf

I just recently had the issue with the dead display after a formatter removal and re-seat. I ran through all of the troubleshooting tips suggested in the earlier post without any luck.
    Turns out that the ribbon cable between the formatter cage and the DC controller had one of the leads torn. It was VERY hard to see while it was connected to the formatter cage.
    You might want to check the ribbon cable if you are experiencing this issue.