Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Trusted Tech 50+ Posts d7guitar's Avatar

Unhappy Hp4345 tray failure, size mismatch

Has anyone seen this problem??? (8x11 plain paper)
    Symptom 1
    During a print (or copy) job the device will stop and display a "load Paper" message for that tray (in my case tray 5).
    The tray DOES have paper. After re inserting the tray the device may or may not recognize the paper in the drawer. The paper lift motor can be heard but paper is not always recognized? Although, it does seem to recognize the paper about 80% of the attempts.
    Symptom 2
    During a print job from that same tray there will be some prints that mis-register. Example; the registration varies about an inch or two from the lead edge and the last inch or so is continued on to a second page.
    Symptom 3
    Blank pages inserted in to print jobs from that specific tray. The number of blank sheets vary from one to five at a time.
    Symptom 4
    Getting size mismatch error on error log list, 41.3

Work done,
    Replaced paper detect sensor, replaced all feed rollers, checked that feed rollers were installed correctly and clicked in. I am using genuine HP tray tires, all three. Torque limiter has been replaced. Tray lift is working.

Thoughts,
    I have two same models with this problem. Luckily i am an in-house tech at one of our local hospitals and they have 85 of these models deployed and a backup of 6 machines so i was able to swap entire trays. I will soon get both of these trays into a loaner machine so i can continue troubleshooting.
    Just wondered if any of you may have seen this before and have an idea of what the solution may be.
    Nothing on the HP forum, but hey, this a better forum and that's why I'm here!
    Thanks for your help
    After all is said and done, More is said than done.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    Hp4345 tray failure, size mismatch

Lightbulb Re: Hp4345 tray failure, size mismatch

This Parts & Service manual can now be purchased for $12.77 and downloaded immediately after payment from

Just Manuals ~ The Internet's largest selection of manuals ~ Instant Downloads

Paul@justmanuals.com

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: Hp4345 tray failure, size mismatch

How do the paper feed assembly and registration assembly rollers look?
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Coke in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!".

USMC 50+ Posts

check back side of tray in question the size guides often break or spring comes out allowing paper to shift

Tray rollers are new. I will check the registration rollers. The cassette side guides appeared to be fine, but i will take a closer look at them too.
    When i troubleshoot this week i will update everyone on status.
    I have two of these " problem" trays to put onto a loaner machine in my service area.
    Hoping to have an answer soon.
    Thanks

Found the problem with both trays. First tray, the separation roller was not snapped in all the way. Even though i had checked it several times by pulling forward on the roller the torque limiter wasn't fully seated in the pin through the shaft so it wasn't doing it's job correctly.
    Second one was a solenoid that was sticking. There is noise deadening foam on the inner part of the solenoid where the arm meets the solenoid. That foam had become worn and the adhesive had gone through the foam and was holding the solenoid arm. Removed adhesive, cleaned and took a couple loops of the solenoid arm spring... Viola!