Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    End User 250+ Posts

Anyone know if the HP Color Laserjet CM3530 uses color toner on black text?

I can get a good deal on a slightly used HP Color Laserjet CM3530 which I've been wanting for a while but I have a question:

Lots of what I print is for example a 50 page document which is about 95% black text but with some headlines in color text and about 4 color photos throughout the entire document. I know some printers mix in all 4 color toners on black text to scam the users into buying color toner they don't need by hiding it in black text.

Does anyone know if the HP Color Laserjet CM3530 hides color toner in black text on a color document in order to sell me more color toner cartridges than I actually need?

Thank you

teacher-guide-expert-guru 2,500+ Posts

Re: Anyone know if the HP Color Laserjet CM3530 uses color toner on black text?

If you choose b&w mode in your driver,printer using only black cartdridge.If you choose color mode and print file have only black text,printer using
    all colours,especially black and cyan.
    Practice makes perfect
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it
    A picture is worth a thousand words
    If you want something done right, you have to do it yourself

End User 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zoraldinho View Post
    If you choose b&w mode in your driver,printer using only black cartdridge.If you choose color mode and print file have only black text,printer using
    all colours,especially black and cyan.
    Why does it do that? Is this an intentional fraud to steal color toner from users? How much color toner is used on black text?

Thank you

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

This model does have colour sensing so a black and white page printed in colour mode will still just use black toner. See the attached document. Process black (CMYK) is used for some text, especially if you're printing an image file like a jpg with black text, but word processing documents with just black text will just use K toner. The colour data is stored in the data submitted by the print driver and the formatter will interpret the data as either colour or black and print accordingly.

Colour sensing has been around for quite awhile: the days of all process black all the time are long gone...

3709253.pdf

just one copy?? 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by aab1 View Post
    I can get a good deal on a slightly used HP Color Laserjet CM3530 which I've been wanting for a while but I have a question:

Lots of what I print is for example a 50 page document which is about 95% black text but with some headlines in color text and about 4 color photos throughout the entire document. I know some printers mix in all 4 color toners on black text to scam the users into buying color toner they don't need by hiding it in black text.

Does anyone know if the HP Color Laserjet CM3530 hides color toner in black text on a color document in order to sell me more color toner cartridges than I actually need?

Thank you
    You Sir (and I used that term very lightly),

are a fool to this forum.

Colour cost MONEY $$$$$$.
    I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. ~Thomas Edison

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts Eric1968's Avatar

I know some printers mix in all 4 color toners on black text to scam the users into buying color toner they don't need by hiding it in black text.

Yeah, and HP is also responsible for 9/11, the assasination of John F. Kennedy and Pearl Harbor.
    Last edited by Eric1968; 04-05-2012 at 05:08 PM.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Jules Winfield's Avatar

Thank you
    Have you tried refilling your color cartridges with an appropriately colored Kool-aid mix? Way cheaper than actual toner....
    But I'm trying, Ringo. I'm trying real hard... to be the Shepherd.

Technician

I thought you deleted your account because we are all worthless and no help.
    If it ain't broke ... Break it.. I need the work!!!!!

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts Eric1968's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jules Winfield View Post
    Have you tried refilling your color cartridges with an appropriately colored Kool-aid mix? Way cheaper than actual toner....
    ...or with waste toner???