Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Can laser printers be damaged by losing power during a print job?

Re: Can laser printers be damaged by losing power during a print job?

Until you've connected a PQA, you really have no idea how crappy the power is. This event log came from a factory setting:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

westom

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    I realize that the power companies have overall got their proverbial act together, (I've heard that the 60 Hz power is regulated to 3-4 cycles per year), but they're not perfect by any means.
    The grid could gain or lose a million cycles per year. And that is still perfect ideal power for all appliances. You are worrying about anomalies harmful only in urban myths, hearsay, and retail advertising.

Ideal power for electronics exists even when incandescent bulbs dim to 50% intensity. How often is your voltage dropping that much? That is safe power for electronics. And sometimes indicates a potential human safety issue. Why would anyone cure the symptom with a UPS? A potential threat to human life would still exist. Informed homeowners fix the problem; do not cure symptoms.

Does the OP have crappy power? If he does, then it is made obvious by numbers. For example, how much (in ballpark tens of percent) do light bulbs dim? If not, then AC voltage is ideal perfect. Best household wiring for a laser printer is even 1930 vintage wires - if the wires do not threaten human life.

Posted were so many mythical fears including a disk drive crash created by a blackout. These fears only exist when the claim is subjective – also called junk science.

Surge protector remains inert - does nothing - until a light bulb brightens to 3450 percent brightness. How often are your incandescent bulbs becoming 34 times brighter? If not, the surge protector completely ignores any voltage variation.

A UPS does nothing for the OP's concerns. A UPS in battery backup mode might even be potentially harmful to some laser printers - as described previously with numbers.

As blackcat4866 demonstrates, most have no idea if power is crappy. Too many want to cure a mythical threat because some high school educated salesman told them to fear a myth. That 'cycles variation' fear is another myth popular among consumers educated only by advertising.

A UPS does nothing for the OP's concerns. A UPS in battery backup mode may even be potentially harmful to some laser printers - as described previously with numbers. If a threat exists, it and a solution are always defined by numbers. Subjective claims are a symptom of junk science reasoning.

End User 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by westom View Post
    You suspicions are properly founded. Nothing electronic is damaged by power loss. [...]

Thanks, but in case I wasn't clear, for the inkjet printer I wasn't worried power loss would damage any of the electronics, I had it on a UPS so that in case of a power failure while printing, I'd be able to stop the print job and allow the printer to park the heads airtight service station do they wouldn't dry out. I never did end up having a power failure while printing.

By the way I'm rather confused at people saying I have power problems, I have probably among the most reliable power there is, with power failures occurring probably less than once per year, but I still wanted the inkjet on a UPS as the print heads could cost up to $200.

If a power outage can't damage a laser printer like it can an inkjet then I'll leave the laser printer off the UPS.

westom: I think you completely missed the point. That attachment is a documented case of dirty power, causing the NIC to drop off the network several times a day.

The point is that until a power quality analyzed is installed to record events, you really don't know anything for sure. That's all.

Logic level circuits run at 5v, and usually trigger at 3.5v (<3.5v = low (0), >3.5v = high (1)). If your ground to neutral varies by more than 1v it can mean the difference between a 0 or 1, low or high, running or jammed.

You come across as some sort of public relations rep for the power company. Are you seriously denying the existence of dirty power? For real?
    =^..^=
    Last edited by blackcat4866; 04-22-2012 at 02:02 AM.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aab1 View Post
    Thanks, but in case I wasn't clear, for the inkjet printer I wasn't worried power loss would damage any of the electronics, I had it on a UPS so that in case of a power failure while printing, I'd be able to stop the print job and allow the printer to park the heads airtight service station do they wouldn't dry out. I never did end up having a power failure while printing.

By the way I'm rather confused at people saying I have power problems, I have probably among the most reliable power there is, with power failures occurring probably less than once per year, but I still wanted the inkjet on a UPS as the print heads could cost up to $200.

If a power outage can't damage a laser printer like it can an inkjet then I'll leave the laser printer off the UPS.
    Seriously?

I'm not referring to what comes in off the street; it's probably no less respectable than most. I am referring to the power management you have within your building.

Re-read some of your posts from the past year or so. Did you not mention that you can't run too many things at the same time? You clearly demonstrated that the power in your office is out and out awful, unless what you posted was untrue. (Of course, you could have been embellishing the facts to make your Canon sound as bad as possible.) Kinda like you saying that you are a simple end user, yet your avatar says "Service Manager". Service manager of what? I'm still befuddled by that one.

Go out and rent a quality power monitor, and let it run for at least 3 or 4 days. Be sure to do so during the heat of summer, when your AC is running - don't make it easy to get lulled into a false sense of security.

If it comes back clean, great, good for you. If not...
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    You come across as some sort of public relations rep for the power company. Are you denying the existence of dirty power? For real? =^..^=
    You, Sir,are a mind reader.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

westom

You come across as some sort of public relations rep for the power company. Are you seriously denying the existence of dirty power?
    Anomalies exist. But nobody is discussing each anomaly (power factor, harmonics, noise, floating neutral, longitudinal currents, sags, frequency variations, etc). Subjective claims lump everything into speculation about 'dirty' power. No numbers are posted to define 'dirty'. Informed posts would routinely include such numbers.

Electronics (even more than 40 years ago) made most anomalies irrelevant. For example, electronics work perfectly OK even when incandescent bulbs dim to 50% intensity. That says nothing about power companies. Anomalies exist. And are made irrelevant by what exists inside appliances.

The OP repeated; he does not have power problems. Why do so many harp about what is irrelevant? Power problems are an irrelevant speculation. Scams, promoted to cure mythical power problems, are why so many quickly assume 'dirty' power. The myth works if one does not demand underlying facts (ie which anomaly and quantified).

The OP has one different concern. A UPS has one purpose. To provide temporary and 'dirtiest' power during a blackout. Unexpected power loss (one of a few anomalies that appliances do not solve internally) is a concern. But does not damage $200 print heads.

BTW, laser printers do not have print heads. Laser printers transfer and fuse a charged 'powder' to paper. No print head exists to 'park' or protect.

Inkjet printers also do not have print heads. Dry ink on a cartridge is easily solved using a tissue and solvent such as rubbing alcohol.

Anomalies exist. But nobody is discussing each anomaly (power factor, harmonics, noise, floating neutral, longitudinal currents, sags, frequency variations, etc). Subjective claims lump everything into speculation about 'dirty' power. No numbers are posted to define 'dirty'. Informed posts would routinely include such numbers.

Electronics (even more than 40 years ago) made most anomalies irrelevant. For example, electronics work perfectly OK even when incandescent bulbs dim to 50% intensity. That says nothing about power companies. Anomalies exist. And are made irrelevant by what exists inside appliances.

The OP repeated; he does not have power problems. Why do so many harp about what is irrelevant? Power problems are an irrelevant speculation. Scams, promoted to cure mythical power problems, are why so many quickly assume 'dirty' power. The myth works if one does not demand underlying facts (ie which anomaly and quantified).
    I'll have to beg to differ on this one. There are frequent occurrences of dirty power in our field. And perhaps appliances make these anomalies irrelevant, but MFP's will burn up circuitry, jam unexplainably, and have logic lockups. And they are relevant. aab1 is not talking about this, but I am. I've personally documented spikes over 400v to 120v equipment. Are you going to say that's it's irrelevant? And a good quality surge suppressor will only limit the overvoltage to 220v. And the greatest problem is ground-to-neutral or floating grounds, on ground switching equipment. We're not talking about a light bulb here, which will tolerate +300% -100%. We're talking about 5v logic circuits that will not function beyond +/-10% of the rated voltage.

Most of these anomalies remain undocumented, and do exist, and are significant.

BTW, laser printers do not have print heads. Laser printers transfer and fuse a charged 'powder' to paper. No print head exists to 'park' or protect.
    Sure, aab1 has mixed up his comments. Konica Minolta uses the term print head to refer to the laser unit, but I'm pretty sure that's not what he means. And in thermal transfer printing the term print head refers to the transfer heater, again something different. Laser equipment does not have a true print head.

The OP has one different concern. A UPS has one purpose. To provide temporary and 'dirtiest' power during a blackout. Unexpected power loss (one of a few anomalies that appliances do not solve internally) is a concern. But does not damage $200 print heads.

Inkjet printers also do not have print heads. Dry ink on a cartridge is easily solved using a tissue and solvent such as rubbing alcohol.
    This is a valid issue. Inkjet jet printers do have print heads and the print heads are vulnerable in a couple different ways. Firstly the low voltage cicuitry inside the print head can be damaged by spikes, even undocumented ones. Secondly and more significantly, the orifaces in the print head park over a capping assembly when not in use so the ink does not dry in the openings. When printing halts in mid-scan the head is not protected by the capping assembly. Over a period of 48+ hours the head(s) could conceivably dry up and require replacement. A creative person might remove the print heads, lightly clean the surface with alcohol, and cover the print surface with a layer of plastic tape. That would slow down the drying process.

Damn! How did I get drawn into this? =^..^=

westom

I've personally documented spikes over 400v to 120v equipment.
    Obviously a 400 volt spike is not desirable. But international design standards for electronics over forty years ago required equipment to withstand 600 volt spikes without damage. Today's designs are even more robust.

Protectors are not 220 volts. The number is on each box. Let through voltage is 330 volts. That defines protection from only one type of transient - not the type that is typically harmful. Often those protectors are undersized. Will self destruct on spikes too tiny to harm appliances. A failure that promotes myths and sales. These games are profitable when consumer knowledge comes without numbers. 600 volt spikes should never damage any electronics - even dimmer switches and GFCIs.

The OP's concern is damage created by a blackout. A completely different anomaly. An anomaly that must not cause any appliance damage.

Plenty of anomalies exist. Most are already made irrelevant by how appliances are designed. That laser printer is not damaged by a blackout. 400 volt spikes should not damage any electronics. The anomaly exists. But is also made irrelevant. An anomaly that concerns the OP is (should be) made irrelevant by the appliance.

BTW, what happens when incandescent bulbs dim to 50% intensity? DC voltages inside the ink jet printer vary by zero percent. Basic electronics knowledge makes that obvious. A 'black brick' power supply is why massive AC voltages variations exist with zero voltage change inside every printer. Another example of anomalies easily made irrelevant by the appliance.

I've said what I had to say. I won't agree that a 600v surge is irrelevant or harmless.

And I'm not going to continue to argue. =^..^=