Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Re: Can laser printers be damaged by losing power during a print job?

This thread be closed.

Now where's that stamp that Teckat uses...
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

All of a sudden I remember that a Xerox phaser, I know it is not the type we are talking about here, does not like the power cut. I had a couple that laot power to a building and caused e-promm errors. Research showed that to be a known issue.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

End User 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    Seriously?

I'm not referring to what comes in off the street; it's probably no less respectable than most. I am referring to the power management you have within your building.

Re-read some of your posts from the past year or so. Did you not mention that you can't run too many things at the same time? You clearly demonstrated that the power in your office is out and out awful, unless what you posted was untrue. (Of course, you could have been embellishing the facts to make your Canon sound as bad as possible.) Kinda like you saying that you are a simple end user, yet your avatar says "Service Manager". Service manager of what? I'm still befuddled by that one.

Go out and rent a quality power monitor, and let it run for at least 3 or 4 days. Be sure to do so during the heat of summer, when your AC is running - don't make it easy to get lulled into a false sense of security.

If it comes back clean, great, good for you. If not...
    I said I can't run my AC and laser printer at the same time on the same circuit, this is completely normal as each by itself uses nearly the limit of amperage available on a circuit. This has nothing to do with poor electricity and everything to do with the simple fact that you can't run two 15 amp devices at once on one 15 amp circuit. That's why I always turn off my AC before getting my HP laser printer out of sleep mode, I've also run tests with a power monitor connected to my new HP to make sure it doesn't wake up by itself out of sleep mode to do maintenance as my Canon did. After over 48 hours in sleep mode, the HP never consumed more than 22 watts, while the Canon would wake up out of sleep mode by itself (or when the phone rang) and pulled over 1000 watts, so I had to shut the Canon down completely from the main power switch. This new HP only does maintenance if it's already awake (and I haven't connected it to the phone line), so I know it's safe to leave it in sleep mode while the AC is on.

I very well know it's not an ideal setup at all to have a laser copier and AC on the same circuit, but I'm well aware of the risks and am VERY careful of NEVER turning both on at the same time. It won't be on the same circuit forever though so this is temporary.

About my avatar, those titles are automatically selected by the forum based on how many posts you have, I have no control whatsoever on what is indicated there.

Update: I noticed this site, unlike others, allows you to choose your own title rather than let it be auto determined based on post count. I've made it custom to read "End User".

AutoMajical Resolutionist 2,500+ Posts
    Can laser printers be damaged by losing power during a print job?

aab1 your efforts are duly noted and I think your questions have been answered. The conversation and bantor you inspired have been technically entertaining to say the least. My veteran collegues have provided valuble info for you. Thanks to blackcat,KenB and westom. I've tried to stay out of this one but I now had to step in and say:

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    This thread be closed.

Now where's that stamp that Teckat uses...
    Mystic Crystal Revelations

66lima

I will only add that the average "electrician" wouldn't know a power surge or voltage spike if he got hit by one.

If you think you have "dirty power" voltage spikes caused by big motors turning on or off or something similar, then you need a digital meter capable of reading instanteuos voltage with a "peak hold" feature or you need a Dranetz voltage monitor which prints out on paper the time and date of any voltage fluctuation along with the amount of voltage change.

Or an oscilloscope AND someone that knows how to use it and is willing to stand there and watch it which is not practical.

I have only had a few problems that were caused by dirty power that were diagnosed correctly.

Most times it is a fluke (no pun intended) that never happens again.
    Only rarely is the source of the noise on the line found and corrected.

But it won't be found by an the electrician that shows up with a "wig wag" voltage checker.

Rich