How hard could it be? Two 4100's with 13.1.00 jams from tray #2.

First one had three separate paper scraps crammed in into the registration area. Not that rare, I'll agree. What was rare was the broken glass blocking the path. I shouldn't be that surprised based on the environment, after all it's a glass factory. There's broken glass everywhere. But traveling up a vertical path? That's interesting.

Second one didn't move the paper at all, and left no friction marks or dirt on the paper. When observed, the pickup rollers vibrate a little, but don't rotate, and you can hear the pickup solenoid clicking. The pickup drive functions manually when the solenoid is pressed and gears rolled. With the covers off you can see the gears to the pickup drive move during initialization, but then stop during feed operation. That's got me a little confused. If it will rotate during initialization, why stop when I want it to feed?

Then I notice that it's trying to pickup from the bypass (tray #1), even though the tray is empty. Part of this is explainable: the PE flag for tray one is missing-all four sections of it. With the PE sensor unblocked paper is present, with or without actual paper. But why is the machine choosing tray #1?

When I print a menu map the screen displays "Tray 2 Plain Custom?" If I press Go twice it does print from tray #2. In the paper handling menu the paper size and type are stored correctly. But on the tray the there is a lever: Custom ---> Standard Sizes. Both problems had to occur for the 13.1.00 jam. Also interesting. And I nearly tried to disassemble the main drive. It doesn't look like much fun.

Interesting x2. =^..^=