Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    End User 250+ Posts

How to scan using HP Color LaserJet CM3530

I went to scan to my PC for the first time today with my HP CM3530 only to see it's not detected as a scanner by my PC. I have it connected by USB, does this machine even support scanning over USB or do I need to network it for scanning with this machine?If I need to network it, how do I do that? I've only ever connected a printer by USB (or parallel before USB). I do have a router for sharing the internet, do I need a router with a printer port or what?If I can scan by USB, where are the drivers? None seem to exist which is why I suspect it only supports scanning over a network.Speaking of scanning, over 95% of the time I use it for printing, yet it still initializes the scanner every time I send a print job from my PC, is there any way for it not to initialize the scanner when sending a print from a PC?Thank you

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Re: How to scan using HP Color LaserJet CM3530

HP Color LaserJet CM3530 Multifunction Printer series*-* Scan and send (e-mail, send to folder, digital send, etc.) - HP Business Support Center There you go... Welcome to the exciting world of network printing. You may actually find it to be effective. The manuals included on the CD, or HP's website can usually answer these kinds of questions for you

End User 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rthonpm View Post
    HP Color LaserJet CM3530 Multifunction Printer series*-* Scan and send (e-mail, send to folder, digital send, etc.) - HP Business Support Center There you go... Welcome to the exciting world of network printing. You may actually find it to be effective. The manuals included on the CD, or HP's website can usually answer these kinds of questions for you
    Thanks, so do I just plug the printer into one of my router ports as if it was another computer, or do I need a special router with a dedicated printer port (I know nothing about networking)?Thanks

Service Manager 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by aab1 View Post
    Thanks, so do I just plug the printer into one of my router ports as if it was another computer, or do I need a special router with a dedicated printer port (I know nothing about networking)?Thanks
    The router you have will work fine.

End User 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ucinn View Post
    The router you have will work fine.
    Great, so I plug it in one of the 1-4 ports as if it was another computer?And I still don't have an answer about what the JetDirect card offers over the built in JetDirect server? At first I thought one was 100mbps and the other 1000, but they are both 1000, so what benefits does this add on card add?Thanks

Service Manager 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by aab1 View Post
    Great, so I plug it in one of the 1-4 ports as if it was another computer?And I still don't have an answer about what the JetDirect card offers over the built in JetDirect server? At first I thought one was 100mbps and the other 1000, but they are both 1000, so what benefits does this add on card add?Thanks

It adds no benefit except if your onboard one goes out, you then have a backup.

End User 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ucinn View Post
    It adds no benefit except if your onboard one goes out, you then have a backup.
    That doesn't seem to make sense, why would the previous owner have paid $300 or more for a 2nd one? I thought it added additional features that you don't have with the built in ethernet.Maybe the built in one is dead and they added the card? But wouldn't it have been cheaper to repair the built in ethernet?I'll go buy a network cable soon to connect it, but I assume that with these big business models I will no longer be able to scan directly from Photoshop right? Will I be limited to "Scan to folder" and "Scan to email"? At least that's better than no scanning which is what I have now.Thanks

Scan to folder, Scan to email, and TWAIN scanning are all different setups. They basically all do the same thing just a different procedure on how they work.
    "In a cruel and evil world, being cynical can allow you to get some entertainment out of it."

End User 250+ Posts

I just realized my router seems to only be 100 mbps, doesn't that mean it would slow down communication 5 times more than it already is by 480mbps USB (already by USB the printer stops to wait for data all the time on long PDFs)?

If so then I'd rather wait to get a gigabit router and live without the ability to scan for now.

Isn't there anyway whatsoever to scan a document over usb with this machine? I had to setup my camera, tripod and a white background on the floor as an improvised scanner for now.

Thanks

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

See my original reply and follow the link.