Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    End User 250+ Posts

Is it bad to print envelopes on a laser printer?

A few months ago I started printing my return addresses on envelopes directly on my HP CM3530, but after printing a batch of maybe 100 envelopes, for a few seconds after the machine said "Cooling device, please wait...", I had never seen it say that before, I know it uses higher temps and slower speeds for envelopes as it slows to a crawl in envelope mode.Does this cause any premature wear on the transfer belt, fuser, or anything else? Is it a bad idea to print say 100-200 envelopes a month on it? It sure does seem to get very stressed when I ask it to print envelopes, due to how much it slows down, pauses between every envelope, and cool down warnings after the print job.Am I best to go back to using a stamp or is printing envelopes fine for the machine?Thanks

just one copy?? 500+ Posts
    Is it bad to print envelopes on a laser printer?

Re: Is it bad to print envelopes on a laser printer?

The worst thing that happens when you print on envelopes with this type of machine is it voids all use of CopyTechNet. Unfortunately for you, you are no longer allowed to utter your laser printing 101 fuckery.
    I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. ~Thomas Edison

Service Manager 250+ Posts

Re: Is it bad to print envelopes on a laser printer?

Quote Originally Posted by aab1 View Post
    A few months ago I started printing my return addresses on envelopes directly on my HP CM3530, but after printing a batch of maybe 100 envelopes, for a few seconds after the machine said "Cooling device, please wait...", I had never seen it say that before, I know it uses higher temps and slower speeds for envelopes as it slows to a crawl in envelope mode.Does this cause any premature wear on the transfer belt, fuser, or anything else? Is it a bad idea to print say 100-200 envelopes a month on it? It sure does seem to get very stressed when I ask it to print envelopes, due to how much it slows down, pauses between every envelope, and cool down warnings after the print job.Am I best to go back to using a stamp or is printing envelopes fine for the machine?Thanks

It is no problem to prit envelopes on this machine. You are correct that the fuser operates at a higher temp for envelopes. It cools down after the job so if your next job is normal paper it will be at the correct temp for that job. If it didn't, then the fuser could be too hot for that job and cause ghosting or jamming. It's perfectly normal.