Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    End User 250+ Posts

HP CLJ CM3530 print defect, is it a failing fuser?

My HP CLJ CM3530 has had a problem that's been getting worst and is now unacceptable when using thicker paper. For an entire top to bottom line at the same place on every sheet, the toner is either misfused and scratches off, or literally gets peeled off the sheet by the fuser rollers and re-applied further down on the page in white areas. This only happens on thick glossy or card stock paper, I also set the paper settings correctly.

This is strange since it says the fuser has 75% of it's estimated life remaining. What could have caused this and can it be fixed without replacing the entire fuser?

Some things I suspect might have caused it:
    -For a while I printed a few hundred envelopes through tray 1, but they say it supports this
    -I do every few weeks print small batches (20 sheets or so) of high coverage prints on 199g/m2 card stock, the printer specs say it supports card stock, but not what weight, for "heavy paper" (not card stock) they say up to 175g/m2 I believe

The fact it's one narrow line that misfuses, I'm more inclined to think it might be the edges of envelopes that might have rubbed off the teflon on that part of the roller.

So is there a fix other than replacing the entire fuser? Can the teflon coated roller be replaced? And more importantly, how do I prevent this? Should I not print envelopes despite HP saying it's ok?

Thanks

End User 250+ Posts

Re: HP CLJ CM3530 print defect, is it a failing fuser?

Setting the fuser temperature higher has restored normal print quality on thick paper, while setting it lower makes the problem infinitely worst.

I assume this confirms this is in fact a fuser problem, and I assume setting the temp higher will only buy me a bit more time and is only a band air solution. Can the fuser itself be repaired by replacing the heating roller or do I have to replace it completely?

Why would it have problems with 75% estimated life yet? Does HP cover this under warranty even though I'm not the original owner?

Thanks

Confused & Bewildered 250+ Posts sdrawkcab's Avatar

Short term memory loss

from aab1......

Can I delete my account from this useless website?
    I came here for help because I got my first laser copier after having only inkjets for decades. I needed help with the various different issues you can have with laser printers.

It quickly became apparent that this is seemingly a clown forum with no actual techs to help anyone. There are other forums where the members actually help each other and I get my questions answered there, whereas in the year or so I've been here I don't even know if I got one helpful reply.

This forum is nothing but a huge waste of time, how can I delete my account, and ideally all threads from this forum?

I'm done wasting my time here, it's obvious no one wants to provide help to others.

Please, show me the door and how to lock it by telling me where I go to delete my account (I use many other websites using this same forum software but never before have I subscribed to a forum so less than useless that I want to ban myself from it so I've never had to do this before).
    Last edited by sdrawkcab; 01-09-2013 at 03:17 AM.
    Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints

End User 250+ Posts

I think this website hit the nail on the head:

HP Fusing Assemblies and Envelope Printing « Market Point's Tech Support Blog

"On some models envelopes will wear down the middle of the fuser’s fixing film and cause print quality problems. Models like the 2100 and 4000 series are famous for a gray line running down the middle of the page where the upper lip of envelopes had worn away the top coating on the fixing film. As mentioned previously, it’s important to set small paper to ‘slow’ on the 4000 model to make the fusers last longer. [...] Inform your customers or end users that heavy envelope usage will result in premature fuser replacement. Trust me they will not last as long."

Still strange the problem happened months after I've stopped printed envelopes (and the usage report says I've printed 305 total), but the damaged band does line up with the lip of the envelopes.

I'll never print enveloppes again and luckily found a good deal on a new fuser on eBay.

Confused & Bewildered 250+ Posts sdrawkcab's Avatar

Who cares

Man up and reply to your own thread....wait, you dont do that do you, must be small man syndrome.
    Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Wild Bill's Avatar

I for one am not helping this jerk
    Izzy