Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Biofuel Guzzler

Thumbs down Never Did

I never did figure it out but you do have the exact same problem I did it sounds like. I changed the Engine Board and got about 400 pages out of it then it quit again with same symptoms. It is most likely a combination of 2 or more parts but I wasn't lucky enough to get that working combination.

Sorry.
    Daniel... Tech

sdcparts
    I had the same exact problem. Remove the fuser assembly and lubricate the idler arm assembly located at the top left WITH SILICON BASED OIL. For some reason, the grease HP uses tends to get tacky and doesn't allow the arm to swing into position enough to engage the fuser for high speed. When you reassemble, watch the fuser assembly. It should start at a lesser speed, kick into high speed, then drop back down. When you queue a print, you should notice that it turn at low speed for a couple of seconds, then when the gear engages, it goes to a higher speed for your print job. Hope this helps. It seemed to do the trick for me.

Biofuel Guzzler

Nice Dude!

Great Tip. If I run into another I will try that. Great work.

Daniel... Tech

SJUSDtech
    ok,
    so I tried what you said and it didn't seem to work. the idler arm is still not engaging correctly. I can hear the gear miss, and i can also tell that it didn't engage because the exit rollers\assembly will not turn.

I spent the afternoon taking the printer apart to inspect the gears. all the gears are fine, all the teeth are intact. I removed the drive motor and everything worked fine when i would free spin the gears. the idler arm would engage very easily. I also cleaned up the gears a little and applyed some silicon lube. still having the problem although it did get a little better .

what else could it be? is it the drive motor going out, not enough torque to engage at high speed?

thanks again

Technician
    Has anyone with an AFU M3035 or P3005 changed the fuser drive motor for the problem of the paper stopping just before the fuser sensor? I have a M3035 torn down to the frame, inspected the gears and worked them by hand with the fuser installed (face down assy out for visual clearance, what a PITA to get down to that point) and all works well without any binding, skipping of teeth, etc and I have already changed the lower 4 drive gears due to grinding and regreased the fuser film as it was tight from dried grease. Doing a lot of research in the manual (no help) and various threads like this it seems the unit has 2 motors, main and fuser. Main drives the paper pickup and gearing to the toner and transfer roller and then the fuser motor in the upper right rear behind the ECM takes over for fuser, duplex and face down outfeed operation. It's a 2 speed reversable motor RK2-1489 and even with HP's ridiculous pricing it's list at $25.00 and seems the most logical culprit - and the one thing I have yet to hear of anyone replacing.

BTW the pendulum arm with gear behind and small gear on the end is for duplexing and on this one always engages fine. The small gear goes to the 2 gears to the rear of the printer in normal printing direction, switches to the two gears toward the front of the printer for duplexing.

I'll be ordering one tomorrow, probably new from Liberty Parts Team (Colleen always fixes me up), and once it gets here I'll be replacing it. I was given 4 M3035's from a new client that has probably 20 of these both legal and letter scanner types, and all 4 were grinding due to the worn gears where I regreased the fusers, replaced both pressure roller bushings and replaced the 0956/0957/0958/0959 gears and 3 of them work like new but this one stops as mentioned, just before the fuser exit sensor.

Once I get the motor replaced I'll post what I find.

Technician
    Well no joy changing the fuser drive motor, gears and pendulum arm and greasing all as they went back in. Same exact problem so I'm focusing on controller and registration sensors. The one I'm working on is an M3035 - what a total POS and what a nightmare machine to do even the simplest things inside of. Starting to be super glad that HP shut down most ASPs for not buying their new junk to resell as I would have to stop accepting warranty repairs with these new junky printers they are putting out. This one is just past warranty with just 17k pages through it.

Well time to gut the front of the machine now.

Technician
    No difference with removal of the registration and the metal cover forward of that, cleaning the sensors, putting it all back, same problem. Next I tore the fuser apart, regreased with a new sleeve and no change. I did leave the very back of the fuser off to have access to the exit sensor and about the time I saw the paper I tripped the sensor manually and it went to about 1.5" out of the fuser then failed with a second sheet started through the registration and under the toner. That rules out mechanicals and points to the controller board possibly being the problem since it reads the sensors and turns things on and off accordingly. This is not a fun printer especially with the danged ADF/scanner and stapler and fax added to it.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    HP p3005 Jamming at Fuser

Don't know if this is your problem, but have you tried changing the formatter? Reason: these printers have a weakness and some of it is false paper jams and intermittent locking up. Just a thought, since you seem to have changed/tried everything else.

check gears that turn the fuser. remove them, clean the shafts and re-lubricate them. One of them is secured by a clip. Make sure that hasn't come off.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Coke in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!".

Technician
    All the gears in the frame including the fuser drive motor and the 3 on the fuser and the fuser bushings have been replaced with new and greased with the same Uniflor 8172 that is used for the fuser film. Fuser film was replaced with new grease (even used a fuser from a functional P3005) and have disconnected formatter and run the unit by engine test button with same result. Right now the engine controller board and HVPS (which should have no effect on anything but the image development stage to transfer toner to the paper and erase/condition the drum) are the only things that have not been tested (no way to test other than replacement) and since the owner has a unit that was only making the grinding but someone took apart and couldnt get back together they have a known good engine control board and formatter. I'll be picking those parts up from them tomorrow and might just use the metal frame and swap parts to the empty frame from the trouble machine. If I use the present engine board and it comes back then I know it was the engine board. If the engine board doesnt make the problem on the empty frame then it is likely a malfunctioning sensor. I really want to figure this out as they have 40 or 50 of these POS Chinese machines so it's likely to come back and I have not found any site where anyone has posted a for-sure reason for it and a cure. HP does not address the issue on CSN, just the grinding problem which has been known for some time since the 24xx machines.

Another reason I want to figure this out is to keep HP from having a reason to sell more of their new junk. I'm sure they know the problem exists and probably a fix but they havent been forced to recall them so if people get tired of working on them they will junk them out and buy a replacement. Baloney - HP made this mess they need to come up with a repair, either the info to fix it or a service note to supply the parts and pay the labor.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

The grinding on the 24xx series is sometimes caused by bad bushings on the fuser. The press roller moves, causing fuser gear movement, and that wears the gears on the gear drive. Replacing the fuser only doesn't fix the problem. Replacing the bushings, the fuser and the gears on the gear drive usually resolve the issue.

The P3005's work on the same principle so it can be all the things I've mentioned above. Additionally, they have a weakness in the formatter (I've been told that originally it was a bad chip, on some it's cold solder joints, on others a bad cap), that causes 49 errors, locking up at start-up or when going into a menu, getting stuck in sleep mode, and intermittent paper jams that cause a printer to stop in the middle of printing. Too much or not enough lubricant on the fixing units have also caused some problems.

I've not heard of any engine board problems or anything else other than above on these machines. These are one of the few HP machines I actually like and other than the formatter board issue, I've had very little problems with them.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Coke in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!".