Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Biofuel Guzzler

Cool HP p3005 Jamming at Fuser

Ok, Folks, Here is the deal. This is a continuation printer from the HP 2400/20/30. The printer has alot of changes from them but the premise is basically the same. The paper path is the same. Now, I am pretty experienced with this model but I have a jamming issue I just cannot figure out. I have visited this customers site many times for the same issue. I now have the printer in my possession to fix. It has 4000 pages printed to date.
    A page will feed past the toner and fold at the fuser. I changed the fuser twice. Another tech went out over the holidays to fix and ordered an engine board. I replaced. Didn't change. I can physically see the fuser turning. 90% of the time the page goes 1 inch into the fuser and doesn't hit the fuser sensor. It is very strange. I have taken the covers off and watched the gears turn. I basically eliminated everything I can think of as the cause. I've even had other techs look at it. When the page feeds, it sounds like it hits the top of the fuser before it gets IN the fuser rollers. It's a crazy notion that this is happening. If anyone can help that would be great. I know there are some smart dudes and dudettes out there!

Atlanta, GA. Tech

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    HP p3005 Jamming at Fuser

I run into a few HPs now & again, but I've not seen this. With a short little paper path like the 3005 has, there are probably two paper sensors, registration and exit. Of course you can't actually see any part of the paper path while its running (that would be too easy). If it only has 4k prints you can rule out excessive wear on any part of it.

I think that I would start out by checking the two paper sensors. First I'd make sure that the actuator returns sharply, and that there isn't any contaminant (dust/toner).

It sounds as though you've ruled out the drive as a problem.

Next, I guess I'd disassemble the registration area to make sure there aren't any annoying little bits of paper obstructing the paper path, or labels stuck to the guides & rollers.

Next, I'd run my fingers over the various parts of the paper path looking for rough spots that might snag up a piece of paper. Often toner buildup on the upper or lower fuser inlet guide can do this. I doubt that there is much buildup on you're new fuser though.

Next, I think I'd turn the drive by hand to see each section rotate. You can't actually watch the paper movement while its running, but you can roll a piece of paper through and watch its movement.

Have you noticed if the unfused image is mis-registered, blurred or distorted in any way? This could provide a vital clue as to when the paper stalls in its movement. A blurr ~5" from the lead edge would indicate that the blur was directly under the drum at the moment the paper stalled, and the leading edge was just entering the fuser. You can then lay the paper in that place to see what exactly it hit.

I know this wasn't exactly what you were looking for. You want "Replace the -----!" Well, the tough ones are never that easy. Let us know what you discover.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Copier_Guy's Avatar
    Yes, that sounds like a really hard nut to crack. What kind of Print Cartridge is being used in the printer? Have you had a chance to use a different type if it's a compatible?

If you say the lead edge is hitting the top of the fuser inlet before entering the nip, then you may have a slow down or skipping issue with the print cartridge drive.

It may also be a drag coming from the transfer roller or something in that area. Is the problem constant or intermittant? From what you described, there is something slowing down the paper at the transfer area or before that would make the lead edge jump up in the air and hit the upper fuser inlet.

Something working against the positive drive of the print cartridge. Lot's of questions, but one may lead to the amswer.

Good Luck and let us know what happens.

Biofuel Guzzler

Thanks!

Looks like I have some work to do tomorrow to answer some of those questions. I had the covers off and can't see shiznit as far as paper path nicks. I can pull the page and tell that the leading edge isn't nicked or anything. I am leaning toward the registration sensor though. It seems to maybe start to "cool its jets" at the toner and may be folding (actually waving) because the engine or motors just can't stop fast enough. On the other hand the jam code is 13.5 which suggests fuser sensor! Whew! The bad thing is I am officially licensed and certified by HP on this machine! LOL...
    Wish me luck Thanks for the replies! I'll post a resolution if I ever get it!

Biofuel Guzzler

done

So, the printer is working now. I decided HP tech support were mohrons so I took the entire printer apart. Engine brd, formatter, covers, laser, reg assy... I found nothing wrong. All plugs were good, sensors in their places, voltages testing good. I put everything back together and the printer was FIXED!!!! Thats now the second time in my 10 year career that happened! I printed 500 pages on the paper path test and it did em all! I can't explain it. it just works. Beautiful.
    The one thing I noticed is that the printer would display a 13.05 jam when it wasn't working. I noticed on the error log after it started working that it was accompanied by a 13.20 jam code that was never displayed to me. In fact, they shared the same page count on error. I am thinking this was the registration sensor or top of page sensor not detecting the paper. The printer has a whole new mood now. Anyway, Now i have to figure out why it wants to print infinite pages of the configuration each time. menu map does 1 copy, config does endless copies. Setting at 1 copy. I say lets default setting this crap!!!
    I'm going to have a drink now! LOL

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    HP p3005 Jamming at Fuser

It's a case of 'FM'.

I've had a few dozen of these in my career. I didn't know exactly what I was looking for, exploratory surgery. I saw nothing significant. Then it worked perfectly afterwards.

The explaination I have given customers on these occasions is that just by being careful in re-assembly I must have re-seated that critical connector. 'FM'

I'd do a cold start to see if that resolves your infinite # configuration pages. If it is a network printer you may also decide to reset the NIC. After all, it always prints a NIC page after the configuration.

Thanks for posting back, by the way. I really do want to know how it turns out. I hope I can learn someone from everyone here.

Biofuel Guzzler

BS

I have a BS in BS. My BS degree if you will...

Biofuel Guzzler

guess what

Problem is back. I have the flu but i was notified the jamming continues. Stupid p3005's.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Copier_Guy's Avatar
    Wow!

Sounds like the machine from hell. You reseating all the boards may have fixed your problem. I've noticed, especially on IBM/Lexmark printers, that after they get a little age or use on them, they start to act erratically due to bad connections on the boards. It goes the same for HP printers from my experience. Just not as much. Reseating the boards has fixed many a problem for me. I'm talking real strange stuff.

Any how, you may want to try that again, but this time clean the contacts on the boards with alcohol before you go get that drink.

I hope that helps. Good luck and keep us posted.

SJUSDtech
    Did you ever get this figured out. I have the same problem. I such a pain, it will jam every 4 or 5 pages. about 1 inch into the fuser. leading edge is fine, no snags. I tried everything mentioned above, still no love

a little help would be awesome.

thanks,

Eric