Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Technician
    I'm very familiar with all the causes of the grinding on the 24xx, P3005, M3027, M3035 and this one does not grind. The problem I'm having is very common by this thread and others I've found in searches but no one has found the cause, or at least posted the cause. I have a donor machine from the owner that they tore down trying to find the grinding (they thought it was from the large gear that engages the toner in the main gear set) then couldnt put it back together so they set it aside for parts use. I'll be working the problem machine this weekend after I do some work on a problematic Designjet 800PS at another site so hopefully I can find the problem and cure it once and for all and be able to post my findings.

Technician

FIXED!!!!

Well son-of-a-XXXXX it was as simple as a firmware upgrade - not the previous firmware upgrades but the one from March 6th 2010 that recently showed up. Version 20100306 48.121.4 loaded in place of 20070712 48.021.7 and it works like brand new out of the box including duplexing. Ran config pages right after the upgrade finished expecting the usual 13.05 with stop before the exit sensor on the fuser but nope it printed. Sceptical I ran a 10 sheet duplexed paper path test. No issues at all. Still skeptical I ran a 230 page duplexed PDF manual and absolutely zero issues. Ran another manual, no issues. So far 1500 pages printed since the firmware upgrade.

What made me think in the lines of the firmware was a story in the spring 2010 Service Edge that Liberty Parts Team puts out that I got today about bad firmware causing issues in the P401x an P451x machines. I had a P4014 here that was running and running and not putting voltage to the solenoid for tray 2, even after replacement of the dc controller and solenoid. Firmware upgrade fixed it. Okay lets see what HP has for the M3035 since I looked in mid March - bam! a brand new one with this year's date on it. Loaded and fixed. Might be one for the P3005 there as well - can't hurt to try it for those that have set their problem P3005's aside. Hope this is some insight for others.

I know why HP doesnt post this and nothing in the fix info about it - they want people to call at $75 a pop to find this out. I think HP ought to cough up some of what I'm going to charge the customer for bench labor.

edubois87

He is right CONFIRMED FIRMWARE FIXED IT!!! Thanks brother!

I had the same exact issue. I replaced the fuser twice, and the electronics control module. I even replaced the formatter board!!!!!!!! SAME ISSUE! Then i said well i might as well do a firmware update. It finished the firmware, rebooted itself and the app said it was done. I test printed and SAME JAM ARRRGGG!!! I jumped on the phone to complain to a fellow tech and rebooted the printer manually and i heard the wonderful humming noise of the fuser and knew it was fixed. That beautiful humming that eventually turns into clicking and grinding isnt very pleasant (also a manu defect) but it sure is pleasant to hear it after battleing this thing for over 10 hours and 3 trips. Good luck out there. Just do the firmware and forget the rest- youll be wasting your time. If when you turn it on and it doesnt have the 1/6 2/6 3/6 and so on, your firmware is not up to date. DO THE UPDATE AND youll be perfect! on to bigger and better things!

PGSoft

Fixed???

Quote Originally Posted by RHBlakeman View Post
    Well son-of-a-XXXXX it was as simple as a firmware upgrade - not the previous firmware upgrades but the one from March 6th 2010 that recently showed up. Version 20100306 48.121.4 loaded in place of 20070712 48.021.7 and it works like brand new out of the box including duplexing. Ran config pages right after the upgrade finished expecting the usual 13.05 with stop before the exit sensor on the fuser but nope it printed. Sceptical I ran a 10 sheet duplexed paper path test. No issues at all. Still skeptical I ran a 230 page duplexed PDF manual and absolutely zero issues. Ran another manual, no issues. So far 1500 pages printed since the firmware upgrade.

What made me think in the lines of the firmware was a story in the spring 2010 Service Edge that Liberty Parts Team puts out that I got today about bad firmware causing issues in the P401x an P451x machines. I had a P4014 here that was running and running and not putting voltage to the solenoid for tray 2, even after replacement of the dc controller and solenoid. Firmware upgrade fixed it. Okay lets see what HP has for the M3035 since I looked in mid March - bam! a brand new one with this year's date on it. Loaded and fixed. Might be one for the P3005 there as well - can't hurt to try it for those that have set their problem P3005's aside. Hope this is some insight for others.

I know why HP doesnt post this and nothing in the fix info about it - they want people to call at $75 a pop to find this out. I think HP ought to cough up some of what I'm going to charge the customer for bench labor.
    I looked everywhere to find this Version 20100306 48.121.4. Can't find it. I have a couple of printers thta have the very same problem. Do you still have the zip file and is it possible to post it somewhere I can access it. It would be much appreciated!

Paul :-)

edubois87
    Quote Originally Posted by PGSoft View Post
    I looked everywhere to find this Version 20100306 48.121.4. Can't find it. I have a couple of printers thta have the very same problem. Do you still have the zip file and is it possible to post it somewhere I can access it. It would be much appreciated!

Paul :-)
    Forget that version. Download the latest firmware update utilty for XP. Plug a USB cable between the ptr and pc. Install the drivers for the printer and then do the firmware upgrade. After it reboots and completes reboot it again manually and your done.

edubois87

its BACK

Quote Originally Posted by edubois87 View Post
    Forget that version. Download the latest firmware update utilty for XP. Plug a USB cable between the ptr and pc. Install the drivers for the printer and then do the firmware upgrade. After it reboots and completes reboot it again manually and your done.
    So a few months later the problem returned. I have thing thing completely apart down to the last screw. I cannot figure this out. There is a fuser motor that isnt working at all and the paper jams. Anyone out there have a fix for this?!?!

Thanks.

Well may not be directly related to your problem, but i have serviced my share of HP's... a recurrent problem i have seen (even in brand new ones) is a failure in the fuser "transmission" by that i mean... what makes it rotate is the pressure roller... Tho i've seen a few times the pressure roller getting so polished that when the paper goes in the fuser... the pressure roller is rotating but doesnt pull the sheet it just skids on it even if just for a split second... it will give you an instant paper jam.
    So basically yeah... pressure gets too polished... and the lubrication on the fuser film dries out... (I've seen this happen on practically new machines)
    Relubricate the film (if you have the proper grease)... and next time you come across a hairy one... that jams every now and then... use a really thin sand paper... and just gently pass it across the pressure roller removing that "shinny" look, and a rub of alchool to remove any grease... that will give it that extra knack of traction to make the sheet go across it without a hitch

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Wild Bill's Avatar

Wink Re: HP p3005 Jamming at Fuser

Quote Originally Posted by sdcparts View Post
    I had the same exact problem. Remove the fuser assembly and lubricate the idler arm assembly located at the top left WITH SILICON BASED OIL. For some reason, the grease HP uses tends to get tacky and doesn't allow the arm to swing into position enough to engage the fuser for high speed. When you reassemble, watch the fuser assembly. It should start at a lesser speed, kick into high speed, then drop back down. When you queue a print, you should notice that it turn at low speed for a couple of seconds, then when the gear engages, it goes to a higher speed for your print job. Hope this helps. It seemed to do the trick for me.
    BINGO! Thank you for your post! This fixed my problem. This printer only had 4K prints on it. I lubed the swing arm assembly with what I had, which was a light weight oil. It would intermittently jam single sided but every time double sided. "not swiveling" ha ha...Thank you Very, Very Much!

technet.com

Re: HP p3005 Jamming at Fuser

Bingo here too. I'm newbie and i love this forum folks.

Thank You.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    HP p3005 Jamming at Fuser

Re: HP p3005 Jamming at Fuser

great post!
    Just saved me from tearing apart this engine for a 5 minute fix....thank you!!!
    Accidents don't just happen. They must be carelessly planned.