Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

HP CM 4730 XS duplex printing jams.

I'm having a strange issue with a HP CM4730 - Model code CB482A (4 tray model, with staple finisher) and it's a real stumper.

Whats happening is when printing anywhere from 20 to 100 pages it will fail to duplex properly. Where the paper exits and either goes through the finisher transport assembly or into the duplex turn around unit is where the problem occurs. Two sheets will pop out and go down, they should go straight or up, not down. (See attached picture). The inside sheet is duplex printed already and the outside sheet is simplex printed (should be duplex printed). This especially happened with cassette 3. Error message is usually 13.31.00 - Fuser output, paper late jam. Firmware version is 50.221.3.

The following parts have been replaced so far: fuser, duplex unit (and duplex feed assy that's mounted on the etb), paper input unit, transport assembly, and tray 3 cassette. I'm not sure if rollers have been replaced, I think so.

I'm at wits end on this thing, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: HP CM 4730 XS duplex printing jams.

Hi, i belive i have a fix for this if you want to pm me your number i can give you a call on it if you want. Contact me privately with your number and ill phone you.Thanks

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Lightbulb Re: HP CM 4730 XS duplex printing jams.

This Parts & Service Manual can now be purchased for $12.77 and downloaded immediately after payment from:

Just Manuals, The Internet's largest selection of manuals ~ Instant Downloads

Paul@justmanuals.com

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Just an update. I found this thread: HP Communities - HP Color Laserjet 4700 Duplex Jams 13.12.00 - Enterprise Business Community and my support was able to get hold of document emr_na-c01867699. I ended up doing the less than fun replacement of the delivery assembly and the dc controller board.
    I wasn't able to replicate the problem anymore after this, but we're at this point waiting to hear from the customer if the issue is resolved.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Wild Bill's Avatar

Im having this issue 13.10, 13.11, 13.12, Jams on a 4700 I looked at that document and it is also for the 4700.
    Basically it is that flag gets a nic on it and it causes intermittent jamming

Solution is to replace / order the part: "RL1-0612-000CN - Bin Full Sensor Flag" and replace it (Recommended).

I will let you know how this turns out thank you for posting that document
    Izzy

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

It looks like that was my customer's problem as well as I haven't heard from them since I replaced that. I have yet to replace the delivery assy on a 4700 but I doubt it's anywhere near as bad as it is on a CM4730.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Wild Bill's Avatar

Yes that did it; Thanks for the post;
    Some pics to show wear from ...paper

2 4700 bin full sensor flag.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Izzy

freak

Old thread I know... This is what was wrong with my 4370 as well. I ordered the part and will fix it properly but in case you need a quick fix... Place a small piece of plastic tape over the worn pad and the paper will slip right past the worn groove. I've been running like this for a day now with no jams.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts TechGeek's Avatar

I have also seen the gate get stuck on the foam dampening cushions. A quick fix was to remove the duplex unit and disassemble it to remove the stick foam cushions. Symptoms of the stick foam cushion were very inconsistent jams. I hope this my help someone else looking.