Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: HP4015

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

HP4015

Machine started with some slight grinding noise. Took out newer fuser for inspection and looked OK. Seemed a little difficult to hand turn. Reset it and loud grinding noise and rattling, etc. The swing plate gear seamed a little worn, but not obviously bad. Any thoughts would be appreciated and I've ordered the referenced parts.
    Thanks.

Service Manager 250+ Posts HP:guy's Avatar

Re: HP4015

the swing arm gears are showing were and tear replace them.
    double check the fuser gears.
    If there is wear in these ares it will sound more like a washing machine than a printer.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    HP4015

Lightbulb Re: HP4015

This Parts & Service Manual can now be purchased for $12.77 and downloaded immediately after payment from:

Just Manuals, The Internet's largest selection of manuals ~ Instant Downloads

Paul@justmanuals.com

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    HP4015

It has been my opinion and will continue to be so, that the issues with the swing plate/fuser drive are caused by poorly engineered press roller bushings. Especially the 42xx/43xx series HP's and it looks like they really didn't learn anything when they designed the P401x series.

The biggest problem has been that people will change the swing plate or even the fuser drive gear, but do not change the press roller bushings. Or worse the remanufacturer that provides your fusers are not changing them on every fuser they rebuild whether or not they appear to need replacing (we do).

The bushings get worn causing a wobbling of the press roller, this wobbles the fuser drive gear, and causes, in a short period of time, damage to the swing plate/fuser drive gears. HP keeps beefing up the swing plate gears and some companies make this gear out of metal in an effort to prevent this from happening. Yet the problem remains, because the root of the problem is never addressed. The bushings are the same as they have always been.

Do yourself a favor and replace the swing plate and the fuser (one from a manufacturer that replaces the bushings, preferably with OEM bushings) and you'll probably solve the problem, for a while anyway.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Coke in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!".

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by prntrfxr View Post
    It has been my opinion and will continue to be so, that the issues with the swing plate/fuser drive are caused by poorly engineered press roller bushings. Especially the 42xx/43xx series HP's and it looks like they really didn't learn anything when they designed the P401x series.

The biggest problem has been that people will change the swing plate or even the fuser drive gear, but do not change the press roller bushings. Or worse the remanufacturer that provides your fusers are not changing them on every fuser they rebuild whether or not they appear to need replacing (we do).

The bushings get worn causing a wobbling of the press roller, this wobbles the fuser drive gear, and causes, in a short period of time, damage to the swing plate/fuser drive gears. HP keeps beefing up the swing plate gears and some companies make this gear out of metal in an effort to prevent this from happening. Yet the problem remains, because the root of the problem is never addressed. The bushings are the same as they have always been.

Do yourself a favor and replace the swing plate and the fuser (one from a manufacturer that replaces the bushings, preferably with OEM bushings) and you'll probably solve the problem, for a while anyway.
    Interesting! Makes sense. I will ask my supplier about that.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Wild Bill's Avatar

On the P4515 Printer the gears go bad like the 4250 Swing Plate. Until a short time ago I was replacing only the gears, because of availability.
    This didn’t work so well because the shafts wear also. So, even replacing the gears the printer would still be very noisy.

The gear Part Numbers are RU6-0170, RU6-0171 and RU6-0172 but don’t replace these.
    Replace the whole assembly Part Number RC2-2432 Swing Plate P4515 series.

When you replace this assembly it will be nice and quiet unless the fuser is the issue.
    Izzy

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by prntrfxr View Post

Any trouble losing settings on this model from formatter removal? I have not replaced this model yet. Is it the same process? I know the assemblies are different.
    Thanks in advance.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by krm View Post
    Any trouble losing settings on this model from formatter removal? I have not replaced this model yet. Is it the same process? I know the assemblies are different.
    Thanks in advance.
    Sorry for very slow response. Replaced the fuser again and replaced all the swing plate gears via a kit. I took my time, cleaned and lubed shafts/gears and has been great for many weeks! I did it at the shop over a weekend and took me about 1 hr on a relaxed pace.