Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

CM2320 Remove shipping lock from black cartridge.

Any info about how this error is triggered, or even better, how to resolve it would be appreciated. I have already performed all the steps listed by HP at: HP Color LaserJet CP2020, CM2320, M351, M375, M451 and M475 MFP Product Series - Remove Shipping Lock error message on control panel - c01760760 - HP Business Support Center without any resolution. The tech that works for my HP parts distributor was pretty sure replacing the DC Controller PCB would solve it, but it has not. I have even removed the end of the toner cartridge where the HV contacts are (this worked for another user in this forum) and reinstalled it again to no avail. I have two brand new black cartridges and both produce the same error.

I have called HP tech support, but since I no longer work for an authorized warranty station, I get the end user support from India who have not been any help.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Re: CM2320 Remove shipping lock from black cartridge.

It been a while and still no one has a working solution. I have thought about trying a new high voltage board, but it is costly so if anyone has any info about this error please leave a comment. Thanks.

Service Manager 250+ Posts HP:guy's Avatar

I think i may have figured something out reading all these post. There is a manufacturing defect with many of the new cartridges including 304A and CC530A. I too had the error message remove shipping locks. So I put the locks back on to see which contact would be effected by the lock, and then put it back into the carousel. Much to my shock everything seemed as if though it was making contact. There is a (electrical contact circuit) atop the cartridge. I thought maybe this is not what is making contact....So I removed the side plate where the electrical contacts are found and switched it out with a cartridge that we were replacing and voila! I know this is not a convenient solution but it was rather easy on the above aforementioned cartridges and only required a Phillips screwdriver! but hey at least it isnt a call to Costa Rica with some from India telling you to shake it really hard or put paperclips in at random!

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Thanks for the help.

I have two brand new 304a cartridges and both get the same error. I don't have an older cartridge to try swapping end caps. Do you have any idea what the difference was between the two? Maybe I could adjust the cap somehow.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

I'm having the same problem with a M451dn, also followed the support document with no fix. I am using re-manufactured cartridges, naturally the first time this customer put the new cartridges in. I've tried 2 different re-man cartridges and they both give the same "remove shipping lock" message for magenta only. Cyan and yellow are currently re-mans. I went so far as to pull the side cover off and visually check all the contacts and they are connected. I tried swapping the connection blocks from a known good OEM cartridge but that didn't help either.

They previously used OEM and still had the old OEM cartridge, it works when I put it in. I'm contacting my supplier for these cartridges. If I gotta go back to OEM then so be it but I'd really like to save a little bit of money.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

My customer brought this printer in with an extra OEM black cartridge since the error is indicating only the black has a shipping lock problem and they also have an new OEM cartridge in the printer but tossed the old cartridge. Same error with both new black cartridges. The other color cartridges are compatibles or re-manufactured. I contacted the manufacturer of the compatibles and their tech was not familiar with this problem. This makes me wonder if we changed all the cartridges to OEM, would that fix the problem? Maybe we need a re-manufactured cartridge in the black slot?

I removed the high voltage board and cleaned all the contacts that connect to the contacts in the cartridge tray and checked as best I could that they were making contact (all to no avail)... Still get the message to remove the shipping lock from black cartridge.

I would appreciate any other suggestions.

olgar

Quote Originally Posted by HP:guy View Post
    So I removed the side plate where the electrical contacts are found and switched it out with a cartridge that we were replacing and voila!
    That worked for me! I have a hp laserjet pro 400, m475dw. I had been using compatible cartridges which were great, but ran out, so I switched to OEM and that's when I got the "shipping lock" message. I actually did two things, I switched the side plate that has a circuit board with two contacts on top, but I also cleaned away a lot of black grease that was placed on the OEM cartridge by HP. There was a LOT of grease, and unless it is electrical conducting grease, which I would be surprised by, there is no way a connection could have been possible through that much gunk. So it was one of two things, either HP got carried away with grease, or maybe that top circuit board on the toner is specific to disallow running OEM with non-OEM toners.

So when I put the old compatible side plate onto the new OEM cartridge it started working perfectly! Thanks for the idea!!!

I have found through extensive testing on the M451/M475 and the CM2320 cartridges, that the chips have been the issue on 8 different OEM cartridges.

I tried switching the white connectivity end pieces (underneath the chip end cap) and the issue stayed with the cartridge. When I switched out the chip end caps with known good, the "cartridge lock" error disappeared.