Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts

HP Designjet 500 - error 21:10

Hi,
    I'm repairing HP Designjet 500.
    I replaced the carriage belt, everything looks make OK, but when the service station initializing, it bumps to left edge side then goes to opposite side and bumps to the right side.
    Then error 21:10 was displayed.
    I tried almost everything, but once when I entered to service menu, I try to "reset to default settings"
    It started normally work (no bumps to the edges), but then sadly some cartridges were empty and it wants to replace the old cartridges with the new one, because it couldn't initialize the startup test.
    Then I switch off the plotter, turn it on and sadly error 21:10 was displayed again.
    I tried to initialize default setting again, but after this, error 21:10 is still here since.

Please, have you any ideas how can I solve this problem?
    Would be very, very appreciated.
    Thanks.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Re: HP Designjet 500 - error 21:10

Most likely, your service station is packed with dried toner. The code means that the wiper mechanism and capping assembly just can't move.

You've got a couple choices:
    You can replace the service station
    You can clean out the ink gumming up the works. Alcohol dissolves it nicely.

=^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Thumbs up Re: HP Designjet 500 - error 21:10

This Parts & Service Manual can now be purchased for $12.77 and downloaded immediately after payment from:

Just Manuals, The Internet's largest selection of manuals ~ Instant Downloads

Paul@justmanuals.com

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    Most likely, your service station is packed with dried toner. The code means that the wiper mechanism and capping assembly just can't move.

You've got a couple choices:
    You can replace the service station
    You can clean out the ink gumming up the works. Alcohol dissolves it nicely.

=^..^=
    Thanks, I clean it really better and it started to work.
    I changed necessary ink cartridges also, but now it wants "setup printhead cartridges".
    Should I buy them and will it work or is it any other problem?

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

This can get expensive quickly. If the machine has been sitting idle for more than a week, the print heads will dry up. But keep in mind that a bad carriage assembly can also cause a false printhead error. Either way, you've got to invest some money to find out if it's just the printheads, or something else. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Gift's Avatar

If you reset the maintanance station the machine asks for setup printheads by default. No way to get rid of the message until you install these setup printheads.

If that printer is for personal use/friend and time is no issue you can check ebay for cheaper original parts. Got a new mainanance station and carriage assy for <200$, OEM ink and pirntheads are also available way below retail price if you don't mind that the warranty date has exceeded.

I kinda like this printer.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

The really careful deep cleaning of service station help me to solve this problem.
    Thank you for your great help!

Gar the pilot

I face one of these this week, when you say Deep cleaning, did you pull the unit and clean it in a sink? or just burn up a lot if towels? I have thought of making sure I have A sink aval at the clients office or bringing the station back to the office. can I start up the unit with the heads removed to over-ride the " replace heads " warning? or is there another reset for that warning message? and Yess, I know that this is an old thread.
    Thank You
    Gar the Pilot

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Just my two cents on this issue...

I never, ever, attempt to clean a service station that's beyond it's service life. That's not to say you can't. I understand if you're unable to get a new one, but they're only $125 from HP.

Also the fan (if there is one) can be the reason for the 21:10 error. This fan can simply be removed, and if you update the firmware you won't get a warning on startup that the fan is gone.

And, a 21:10 error can often be caused by a bad encoder strip. The tiny marks on the strip get worn off near and around the service station area because it's the place the carriage spends most of its time. So if the carriage is in the wrong position (because of missing marks/bald spots) on the encoder, it will interfere with the service station movement and cause a 21:10. If you remove the service station but leave it connected, and the printer initializes without the error, then take a close look at the encoder strip. Also clean it with water; never use alcohol! (I use Simple Green.)

Also, the trailing cable on these can also be a problem. When the carriage moves to the far right side, the trailing cable passes through a window in the right hand bracket. There's a piece of tape that that holds the trailing cable and the plastic 'follower' (that forces the cable to keep its shape) right at the carriage. After 10+ years, this tape starts to come off. And what happens is the cable and the plastic follower separate, and often become too wide to fit through that window, causing either a carriage jam, OR it can cause the carriage to be in the wrong position and interfere with the service station, causing your 21:10 error. I use book binding tape to replace the tape HP used, or you can use a piece of duct tape, probably. Electrical tape will come off because of all the motion.

Kiran