Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts

HP 4100 main tray problem.

Hi All,
    Machine works great from multi purpose tray. Main tray can print 1 page without trouble. The clutch seems to stay engaged on multi feed jobs. IE: If you print two pages they come out and then a third page comes behind them, not a separation issue. Has anybody had this? I have a HP4000. Is that clutch the same part?
    Thanks in advance. 41K on machine.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Lightbulb Re: HP 4100 main tray problem.

This Parts & Service Manual can now be purchased for $12.77 and downloaded immediately after payment from:

Just Manuals, The Internet's largest selection of manuals ~ Instant Downloads

Paul@justmanuals.com

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Re: HP 4100 main tray problem.

What jam code?
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

I'd say pull the feed unit out and look at the sound reducing rubber pads that the solenoid and the linkages to the feed clutch use. Sometimes they wear out and the adhesive will cause them to bind to the point the clutch will stay active longer than it should.
    Actually, that's the first big problem I found the answer to here, and was the final straw that caused me to join up here. There's an awesome amount of useful information here if you will just search for it.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Iowatech View Post
    I'd say pull the feed unit out and look at the sound reducing rubber pads that the solenoid and the linkages to the feed clutch use. Sometimes they wear out and the adhesive will cause them to bind to the point the clutch will stay active longer than it should.
    Actually, that's the first big problem I found the answer to here, and was the final straw that caused me to join up here. There's an awesome amount of useful information here if you will just search for it.
    I did search and saw very little. I used the advance search. Is there a better way? Any ways, don't have the paper work with me, so not sure of code. It does look like it is the solenoid. I will update if client wants to proceed. They are frugal. I'm planning on accessing this part on my shop 4000 for my own knowledge. Funny I've never seen this before on an HP and many times on other MFGS.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Try this search function. I've had better success with it:

Copytechnet Forum Search - Via Google
    =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

HP 4000/4050/4100 Paper Jam troubleshooting:

When you run a test page look (with a flashlight) through the back of the tray. See if the rollers are turning and if it is grabbing paper.

If the 4 d-shaped rollers are not turning, you need to check the p/u solenoid. If it is not switching the gears/rollers will not turn.

If they are turning, but slipping, replace the 4 d-shaped rollers. RB1-8957 (x4)

If they are turning continuously or an extra time, check the felt on the p/u solenoid and clean it off. Remove all adhesive and install new felt.

Sometimes it's easier to just replace the p/u asm (tray 2) in one move since you have to split the machine in half to get to that solenoid anyway. RG5-2672 (500-sheet tray).

If it is pulling more than one sheet, replace the the torque limiter (clutch in the tray), and the feed/separation rollers.

If the paper goes forward but drops back in the tray or gets jammed in the entrance, remove the tray 1 p/u asm and check for labels, debris or dust at the paper feed roller asm. This problem can also be caused by a sticky solenoid. That part is discontinued so you might find a used one that has less wear, but it probably isnt worth it.

If you have checked all these things you probably have issues with sensors. They are behind the Tray 1 p/u asm. and are controlled by the engine control board (dc controller, hvps, and lvps in one board) in the middle of the machine.

I'm telling you all this to help with customers who love this machine and wont switch, but it is better to get them to upgrade to a newer machine since so many of the parts are going discontinued.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Coke in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!".

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Just remove my 4000 solenoid at shop. Is there any chance of losing settings etc when taking off the formatter. BTW this solenoid looks good and felt as well.

thanks.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by krm View Post
    Just remove my 4000 solenoid at shop. Is there any chance of losing settings etc when taking off the formatter. BTW this solenoid looks good and felt as well.

thanks.
    Your settings will be fine.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wseyller View Post
    Your settings will be fine.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Thanks.