Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    HP Laserjet 4200 Fixing film keeps tearing for what looks like NO REASON... ugh

I have replaced the fixing film in this printer in a fuser that pressure roller, claws etc... look fine. About 6000 pages later, it tore. Will put an entire fuser in this machine but really don't feel that will solve the problem. Seems like it is "environment related" but no indications of it. Cooling fans etc are working OK. Any input will be a big help... Really scratching my head on this one... Are they overusing this machine ? Cannot find specs on this...

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Re: HP Laserjet 4200 Fixing film keeps tearing for what looks like NO REASON... ugh

I've got a group of machines that use fuser films like they're going out of style. One of them lasted exactly 6 prints. I can be fairly sure that the cause for my machines is entirely environmental. The machines are placed in a glass manufacturing plant. It's entirely normal to find a handful of broken glass in the paper path.

When I've been onsite for 3 or 4 hours, I'll get home to find glass particles in my pockets, ears, shoes, everywhere. It's like I've been rolling in broken glass. If there's a solution for this particular environment I don't know what it is. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Re: HP Laserjet 4200 Fixing film keeps tearing for what looks like NO REASON... ugh

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    I've got a group of machines that use fuser films like they're going out of style. One of them lasted exactly 6 prints. I can be fairly sure that the cause for my machines is entirely environmental. The machines are placed in a glass manufacturing plant. It's entirely normal to find a handful of broken glass in the paper path.

When I've been onsite for 3 or 4 hours, I'll get home to find glass particles in my pockets, ears, shoes, everywhere. It's like I've been rolling in broken glass. If there's a solution for this particular environment I don't know what it is. =^..^=
    Wow, I had some copiers in a glass plant once and feel your pain. This is actually in a climate controlled dentist office that does braces... Strange huh...

Strange indeed.

Any unusual media? I know a high percentage of envelopes will significantly shorten the life of the fixing film (27% of it's normal life).
    =^..^=

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    Strange indeed.

Any unusual media? I know a high percentage of envelopes will significantly shorten the life of the fixing film (27% of it's normal life).
    =^..^=
    Hmmm, I'll ask... Also I want to thank you for all of your responses to my posts.
    You have significally helped me fix many machines and I am grateful..

It's not widely known, but I generally respond well to techs that make a real effort, and I can see that you do. You're welcome. =^..^=

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

I don't know if this will help at all, but there were some aftermarket fusers where the fusing film would self destruct because it was too wide.
    Sorry if that's a waste of time.

Service Manager 250+ Posts HP:guy's Avatar

Are you replacing the bushings when you replace the film?
    They go egg shaped and uneven pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by HP:guy View Post
    Are you replacing the bushings when you replace the film?
    They go egg shaped and uneven pressure.
    Wow cool, I bet that's it... Thanks so much. I haven't changed it yet but will...

The upper film does not roll with bushing on each end. It just slids over the heating element and there are end caps I'll call them but not really bushings. The fuser film has been a big problem with therse HP 4200 machines. Make sure you you a lot of grease when replacing film. No way to tell how long the film will last. There is a company called Metro Fuser that has modefied the HP 4200 fuser and uses a solid fuser teflon roller in there rebuild. I have never used one yet but I think if I was you I'd give them a try.