Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts

HP 4250 Servive Agreements

I have a customer with 60 HP 4250 printers. He wants to put them on a service agreement. Each printer will print approx 200,000 prints per year. I'm think about $200.00 per machine per year. Am I close? After market maint. kits are under $100.00. I've been using them for years with good success. Other than a few gears, not much else goes wrong.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Re: HP 4250 Servive Agreements

does that include toner? I think you are way to low. what is the shape of each unit, eval each one and note what it takes and how much they print from it. Yes there is more to go wrong. These machine are notorious for fuser drive assy's. Oh you can replace the drive gear, but guaranteed that wont last long before the white gear that drives the black one will be toast. Some have paper lift problems due to a broken wire at the lift motor. I have had a couple lately needing a formatter. But that is rare. Next question is are these networked? is it an embedded ethernet or jet direct external unit? these goes bad often.
    Here is what I would do. make sure the machine that are needing repair now, tell them before they can go on a maintenance program that the machines need to be in good shape. some with half life on fusers ok, you know what I mean, the ones that as soon as you go on maintenance you lose money. dont want that. They need to last a year if they can. Make money the first year to pay for the parts for the year after. You should break it down to cost per print and then decide the cost. It seems more appropriate to charge $500 a year or about $50 a month per machine. even if you think you can get by with $200 you are too kind.
    raise it more by 50% to at least $300. What about travel time, your time and supplies? It takes about 40 minutes to change out a fuser drive assy. If you need to replace just the gear that is simple and cheap. The way it goes for me is the first change is the gear then the next time it occurs it's the whole assy. The thing you dont want to do is short yourself. If someone can do it less let them take it in the shorts. You are out to make money, not to do somebody a favor. Think about it. Even at $500 a year you cant buy another printer for that.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Thanks for the information. I had no idea where to start. I have been refusing service contracts for 15 years. Don't really want no part of them. I think the price will make him reconsider and continue on a per call basis.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

$200 is kinda low. And PM kits need to be charged extra. $200 per kit? Also tell them you will supply there toner carts or they will be billable if you have a call for a faulty toner.

Not sure of my math but is $200 for 200,000 prints. Is that one tenth of a penny? WAY TO LOW.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by yormets View Post
    I have a customer with 60 HP 4250 printers. He wants to put them on a service agreement. Each printer will print approx 200,000 prints per year. I'm think about $200.00 per machine per year. Am I close? After market maint. kits are under $100.00. I've been using them for years with good success. Other than a few gears, not much else goes wrong.
    I take these at $370.00 a machine. It excludes toners and fusers which they buy from me at fair prices. The residual toner money and occasional charge fuser unit keep it worth while.