Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

P4014 and Troy micr streaking

Have this one customer for months now has had print quality issues. Before they were using some unknown brand rebuilt micr toner. Months ago I seem to remember that streaks appeared to be caused by either the wiper blade or recovery blade in the cartridge. I recommended the troy cartridge because I figured they are the best quality.

Even with the troy carts they have the same issue with every cart. They change the toner and it will be good until part way into the life it starts streaking and even causes backgrounding even with plain paper. I still looks like the cartridge but how can every troy cart end up with issues. It is to the point were it is getting hard to convince the customer that it is not the printer after I suggested what I always assume is the best quality micr toners.

I will soon be installing a maintenance kit at 150k just so that I can say the printer is in top shape. I do know the backgrounding happens before reaching the fuser. When last there the transfer roller was soiled with dirty contact. Cleaned it the best I could with no improvement.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Wild Bill's Avatar

Re: P4014 and Troy micr streaking

We use troy MICR in our two P4015 printers and I have never had a problem.
    I would for sure get Troy involved, send them samples(Return cartridges for sure)
    See if they have a tech support and whats up with this problem; What would cause streaking in every cartridge?
    IDK Crappy Paper/Paper dust;
    Izzy

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Thumbs up Re: P4014 and Troy micr streaking

This Parts & Service manual can now be purchased for $12.77 and downloaded immediately after payment from:

Just Manuals, The Internet's largest selection of manuals ~ Instant Downloads

Paul@justmanuals.com

Service Manager 250+ Posts HP:guy's Avatar

it's the cartridge. I have the same issues Troy cartridges.
    Other manufacturers work fine on the same machine.

We don't supply then the carts so I let them know my recommendations. Not sure on the quality of paper. It is perforated 3 checks per page. Paper dust was non existent. There was hardly any at all.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Put in an OEM transfer roller not third party. The ones in the kits are third party. Need to order the transfer roller separate. I have lots of problems with kit parts. sep pads are worthless, transfer rollers chemically break down when the drum contacts it, when it happens toner adheres to it causing streaking and it will stick to your drum leaving speckles across the drum that look like toner and is hardened on the drum from one side to the other (left to right) you clean the drum off it comes back. I blamed it on non oem toner carts, could still have some effect on it, but in any case a oem transfer roller resolved the issue. This was a tricky one to resolve.
    Here is a hint: if you ever see any repitition in any of the marks or anything, there is no need to stop the paper between the fuser and the toner cart. use a ruler (in mm) to measure the distance from one mark to the next. Then look in the service manual and it will tell you what each distance is. Better if you take note to all models you work on for quick reference. I cant tell you how many people waste their time with other methods. The stop the paper before the fuser will tell you nothing if it is the transfer roller. It just says is it the fuser or not. The ruler works best. It leaves the guesswork out. I'm only here to help and for no other reason.
    Last edited by yourownfree; 10-09-2013 at 04:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by yourownfree View Post
    Put in an OEM transfer roller not third party.
    Some good points. I'm very familiar with what the half stop test provides whether it is drum, transfer rollers, contacts, high voltage and such. This device had factory components until I changed them and has really had this issue for a long time. And I am certain that the transfer roller I installed was aftermarket. If I have to deal with it again I may request an OEM to eliminate a possible issue there. Thanks

Just a thought, but have you updated the firmware on the printer?
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Coke in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!".

I did not.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Wild Bill's Avatar

Ye on these always update the firmware or youll be sorry
    Izzy