Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Technician

Color bands on HP LJ color M451dn

Any idea what's causing horizontal lines on this model? When printing in color you get colored lines. If monochrome then just black band & none colored. I have replaced the transfer belt. Any help would be welcomed.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Wild Bill's Avatar

Re: Color bands on HP LJ color M451dn

It's one of the toner cartridges.
    CP 2025 Multi color Banding...1/2" x 8" Bar
    Izzy

Technician

HI aLL.This is a common issue as said and can be due to several factors.the one most common factor is that the OPC has a worn coating and losing charge this creates electrical drop and charge issues and resolves in the colourbanding or what some see as the "German flag defect".Take a close look at each cartridge and check to see if the organic coating on the OPC is worn down to the aluiminum substrate. this can happen as the waste toner is building up in the cartridge wastebin and being held there creating wear and rubbing to the OPC coating.by changing one cartridge with worn drum this stops the issue and prints ok.the other issue is to address what the end user is printing and % per page of coverage and yields.run and print a supplies status page to see how many prints each unit has printed.One unit may be printing exessive pages past the OEM rated yield do to % of coverage.as said by changing one unit the issue goes.Elliot.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Lightbulb Re: Color bands on HP LJ color M451dn

This Parts & Service manual can now be purchased for $12.77 and downloaded immediately after payment from:

www.justmanuals.com

paul@justmanuals.com

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Use the Print Quality troubleshooting tools in the Diagnostic menu to isolate the cartridges to find out if the problem is a cartridge. Some HP color lasers have cartridge check which allows to test whether the problem follows the slot or the cartridge. Get a service manual for information on how to use these tools.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Coke in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!".

Technician

I followed Elliot's advice & printed a supplies usage report. I noticed that the black toner was at 90%. Everything else was 30/40%. I asked the user if this prob started after changing the black supply item. Her answer was, "Yes!" Problem solved. Thanks everyone!

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by mattguthrie View Post
    I followed Elliot's advice & printed a supplies usage report. I noticed that the black toner was at 90%. Everything else was 30/40%. I asked the user if this prob started after changing the black supply item. Her answer was, "Yes!" Problem solved. Thanks everyone!
    That's great news to hear issue is resolved. Thanks for letting us know.Be careful to watch this end user though as it may be that there using this printer for mainly printing black.the issue may come back again in the future if there printing habbits are as I think.as said it may be that there getting a higher page yield than stated by OEM due to low coverage per page but this alsocreates more wear to cartridge components.Its always good to view the cartridges OPC if this issue is seen again and simply to change that cartridge that has the OPC wear.This is seen with HP OEM or aftermarket units.CheersElliot