Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts IkeW0491's Avatar

HP CM6040 MFP Disk Initialization

Hi All,

Just wanted to get some clarification on whether or not when I initialize the disk on a CM6040 will it erase the disk or just make it usable?

Thanks.

The issue is that when turning on copier, message comes up after warm up that disk is not initialized.
    We have not replaced the disk, so there is no reason for this to be coming up unless there is an issue with the firmware.

I keep getting error messages of the 49.ff.XX variety.

Thanks in advance

IKE

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Lightbulb Re: HP CM6040 MFP Disk Initialization

This Parts & Service Manual can now be purchased for $12.77 and downloaded immediately after payment from:

http://www.justmanuals.com

Paul@justmanuals.com

Re: HP CM6040 MFP Disk Initialization

Quote Originally Posted by JustManuals.com View Post
    This Parts & Service Manual can now be purchased for $12.77 and downloaded immediately after payment from:

http://www.justmanuals.com

Paul@justmanuals.com
    Hi Paul!!

I already got the Service/ Parts Manual from you, BUT it does NOT discuss how to initialize the disk.

I did find it though and was able to get it initialized and working again.

Not sure why it keeps giving this error, unless the HDD is getting ready to fail or something.

Thanks

IKE

Service Manager 250+ Posts HP:guy's Avatar

have you updated the firmware?

Quote Originally Posted by HP:guy View Post
    have you updated the firmware?
    Not yet,

Should I do that also?

And if so what are the procedures?

THanks

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

As far as the 49 series error codes go, you might want to make sure you are not sending corrupt print jobs to the machine before you mess with the hard drive. Especially if the hard drive was working before.
    I guess that could be an indication of an impending hard drive failure, but as I haven't seen that on a CM6040 yet I'm not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Iowatech View Post
    As far as the 49 series error codes go, you might want to make sure you are not sending corrupt print jobs to the machine before you mess with the hard drive. Especially if the hard drive was working before.
    I guess that could be an indication of an impending hard drive failure, but as I haven't seen that on a CM6040 yet I'm not sure.
    Hi Iowa,

The issue was not from print jobs (at least I don't think so).
    The machine was powered down by EU due to a Jam issue (ghost jam that wasn't a ghost jam).
    After resolving jam issue, powered up machine came up with "disk not initialized" message, tried powering down multiple times but still same issue, would let you print but not copy or email.

Ike

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IkeW0491 View Post
    Hi Iowa,

The issue was not from print jobs (at least I don't think so).
    The machine was powered down by EU due to a Jam issue (ghost jam that wasn't a ghost jam).
    After resolving jam issue, powered up machine came up with "disk not initialized" message, tried powering down multiple times but still same issue, would let you print but not copy or email.

Ike
    That makes it sound more like the hard drive has failed. I don't know of any way to manually initialize the hard drive, except taking the drive out of the machine and formatting it with a computer.
    HP's website has the firmware and installation instructions if you want to try that. Usually there are several ways to install the firmware, just find one that works for you and follow HP's instructions to the letter. I don't know if it will help with this problem, but usually it is a good thing to have the latest firmware on the machine anyway.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

49ff.81 was hdd failure on some hp models . If hdd has problems , copy and email will not work, I have seen hp mfps boot up with no error and hard drive not working. If the partition that has the firmware on it is fine the mfp will boot. another way to check hdd is to go to the embedded web server, if you only see info on the jetdirect(ip settings ) and not the mfp (scan, email, mfp s/n and the like) hdd is bad. if you keep getting 49ffxx errors either do a stack trace (should be in sm) and contact hp support with the info, or replace hdd and upgrade firmware.