Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    LaserJet 4250 Line on pages

Going out to look at a printer for a new customer and wanted some information before I go.

They said they have replaced the fuser and 3 toner cartridges but still get lines on pages.

They said after replacing toner cart it will work fine for a day or so then lines come back. They can see lines on new drum. The only other thing I can think of is the transfer roller?

Any other ideas greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Service Manager 250+ Posts HP:guy's Avatar

Re: LaserJet 4250 Line on pages

If the lines are on the drum it should be in the drum unit.
    I would take a transfer roller along with a new HP cartridge.
    Check and clean the laser.

Quote Originally Posted by copyman View Post
    Going out to look at a printer for a new customer and wanted some information before I go.

They said they have replaced the fuser and 3 toner cartridges but still get lines on pages.

They said after replacing toner cart it will work fine for a day or so then lines come back. They can see lines on new drum. The only other thing I can think of is the transfer roller?

Any other ideas greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
    I don't care what they 'say' they've done. It's either toner cartridge or Fuser (possibly transfer, but i doubt it). Don't overcomplicate this

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

I'm with sandman. The first thing you learn in this business is that most of the information you get from endusers is blatantly false, or twisted in some unpredictable way. The only thing you can be certain of is that they need you to straighten something out. There is a remote possibility that there is a broken transfer roller mount or bushing, but much more likely AIO toner cartridge or fuser based on what you've said.

It reminds me of the enduser that regularly calls to say that they changed the toner cartridge, but it still says "Add Toner". And I have to ask the questions:
    What color toner is it asking for?
    Did you change that same color?
    Is it a full cartridge or just an empty that was left sitting next to the machine?
    Are you sure it doesn't say "Replace drum ... (or developing unit, or waste toner, or transfer belt)?

I don't usually get past the first two questions. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Thanks for the replies. I know it has to be either toner cart or fuser. Just wanted to make sure there wasn't something else. I hate driving 50 miles and not having the right parts with me.

I hear what you are saying about things customers tell you, I just had that same thing happen earlier this week. Customer called for their Color LJ 2800 with message to replace supplies, they said they just put toners in. I go there and the reason machine would not work is it needed yellow toner & Drum unit. I had the person pull up HP Toolbox on their computer and showed them the dates replaced and % remaining. Last time any supplies were replaced was 2011.
    They had the supplies onsite, put in the toner and drum, handed them a bill for $95 and out the door in 10 mins.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

lines on pages

Where are the lines? How wide are they? Which direction on the paper?

It can be anything from firmware, cartridge, fuser, registration issues, or media issues. I wouldn't worry too much about second trips. There's no way you can prepare for everything.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Coke in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!".

Technician 500+ Posts

Hey Copyman, this is your other brother Copiman. Do they get their cartridges from you? I ask because I have a customer that called me about a quality issue on a HP and said they were getting lines. So they replaced the cartridge and still had lines. Replaced the cartridge again and still got lines. These were reman cartridges. Turns out all 3 cartridges had worn out charge rollers. Put our reman in it and now they by all their cartridges from us. Deliver cartridges to them every week.

There are tons of sources for remans. Very few that actually remans them. Problems can be turned into opportunities.

Let us know what you find.

Hey copiman,

You sure I'm not your older brother? If you are older then me god bless you, he-he .......
    Just to put things in perspective I cut my teeth on coated paper liquid models 30+ yrs ago. First machine I ever worked on was a 3M secretary model, dual sprectrum process (see below), had to run special paper through machine twice, 1 copy took 3-5 mins! Anyway what I'm trying to say is Im freaking old!

3m.jpg

As for the HP4250, I went out there today and sure enough the "aftermarket" toner cartridge was bad. The customer claims they go bad after one or two days. The toner I put in was from a new batch they just got in today, time will tell. They get the toners from another vendor.