Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    HP 3800  Error 49.4C02

Thumbs up HP 3800 Error 49.4C02

Customer called this morning on an HP 3800. Here is customer's email:

Issue:Issue = Error 49.4C02 – Possible bad network card.

Printer IP settings are set correctly on machine but do not shows as all zeroes on Config page.
    I have pulled the formatter assembly and removed & replaced the Compact Flash 64 memory card since there are no DIMMS. When I restart the printer it comes up fine with no errors until I connect the LAN cable.

Please advise as I am unfamiliar with IT type problems. Frank/ActionPhotocopy

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    HP 3800  Error 49.4C02

Re: HP 3800 Error 49.4C02

Just search that error code. It's a print data error. It could be lots of things, in this order of likelyhood:

1) Wrong print driver
    2) Non-print data sent to printers IP address
    3) Corrupt print driver
    4) Corrupt document
    5) Corrupt application
    6) firmware
    7) formatter card

The thing to do is crossover the printer to your laptop. If you can print without errors, it's corrupt print data, and you'll just spend the customers money replacing unnecessary parts. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    HP 3800  Error 49.4C02

HI,
    THIS IS CUCUKLOTZ.So I go to customer today and install new network card and have same code(IT GUY THERE PREVIOUSLY SAYS HIS NETWORK IS NOT THE PROBLEM)
    I TAKE new card and board it attaches to and bring to the other 3800 they have on premises which was working. I get the same code.Meanwhile I had to work on another printer they have on location,IT guy says while I service another printer he will take the network card and board it attaches to and install in problem 3800(I suggested he try this) He tells me it still has error code with boards working on other 3800)Then He goes back to his office,I have another question to ask him so I go to his office about 10 min later (this situation was bothering me because it makes no sense) .He is on the phone with guys who care for his network and monitor it,he is discussing another machine that has now come up with same 49 error code. He now tells me that because he put the 3800 network card from the original problem machine into the other 3800 printer,this screwed up the network and that's why there are now problems in network,still insisting that HIS NETWORK DIDNT HAVE PROBLEM UNTIL WE SWICHED TO TEST
    boards. If you are dizzy ,JOIN THE CLUB . Can you believe this. WHAT A CROCK .HE CALLS ME LATER SAYING THEY STILL HAVE PROBLEM EVEN AFTER straigtening out network issues.He wants me to order formatter, I think he is just covering his butt and when he gets board which will be delivered to him ,he will call me and tell me he installed it and his problem is solved.I REPEAT< WHAT A CROCK

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    HP 3800  Error 49.4C02

Obviously your IT rep has covered his ass quite nicely, and made you look like a shit. I'd like to hear exactly how this "defective" network card has "messed up his network".

It would have been telling if you had connected a laptop, and successfully printed via crossover (excluding the network). There's nothing to do for it now, but take that lesson with you to the next networking call. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    HP 3800  Error 49.4C02

THANKS BLACKCAT
    LESSONED LEARNED,I was too stinking lazy to carry my laptop with me which you previously suggested I do.
    ANDY

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cucuklotz View Post
    THANKS BLACKCAT
    LESSONED LEARNED,I was too stinking lazy to carry my laptop with me which you previously suggested I do.
    ANDY
    Just a note here to add to all this. Something I learned. First I always have my laptop,all my manuals are on it and I can update firmware. The file sent to the printer was most likely still in somebodys que on their computer or server. Sometimes it is a font or something that has been updated on their computer a program etc like adobe or the lovely Microsoft. Heaven knows they update every week. The bottom line is you need to update the embedded jet direct card separate from the firmware. In my case I was not able to update the firmware it just would not go cause you were suppose to update each version in sequence til you reached the latest or it wouldnt work. But I was able to update the jet direct embedded card and resolved my issue. Maybe next time that is all you need to do. Dont let IT people suggest you do anything. If they knew what they were talking about they would be fixing printers. This is for those of you IT who dont fix printers but seem to have the answer for those who do. I do find at times I have to prove the problem lies within their network,even if they think it doesn't. This is why I carry my laptop as well. The more you use it the more you will feel more comfortable with it. It is a tool. One of the best you can have.