Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

HP Color Laserjet 4500DN 13.6 Jams On Duplexing

I have a customer with a HP CLJ4500 DN. They are getting jams (13.6) on duplexing only. Single sided go through fine and jams on duplexing are completely out of duplex tray and front edge of paper is barely coming out of the transfer belt unit with the trail edge buckled up. Seem like jamming at ITB but single sided works fine.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Re: HP Color Laserjet 4500DN 13.6 Jams On Duplexing

what it sounds like is the lead edge has stopped moving since the trail edge is still moving and buckled the paper. I would make very sure the paper path is completely clear where the lead edge stops. Also note is the paper going in the unit straight and not skewed. If it is skewed then sure, it will jam as it needs to go into the path straight and square.

Is the paper getting to the lead edge flag or sensor to activate it? if so is it really working? If it is working then the set of rollers it goes into must not be. Check connectors, turn off printer, wait 30 seconds at least then unplug printer and wait another 30 sec. and reboot. I bet there is a small piece of something in the paper path. Oh and this might be a possibility, check to see if the gate is working if it has one, to divert the paper, if not maybe the paper is really going the wrong way so it crashes into something.

Thanks for the response. Those are the things I looked at very closely because the end result made it appear to be obstructed at the lead edge point. What kills that theory is at the point that the paper jams in the machine it has already gone through the duplex only paper path and is at a point where single sided prints also travel and single sided prints work fine. No skewing on the paper and I've also tried different brands and qualities of paper. The only common denominator is the transfer belt which the lead edge of paper is just coming out of on the second side only. I don't know if the belt has to work that much harder on the second side that it's hesitating just enough to throw the timing of printer off. I also noticed that it has only 14% of life left. I don't know if they're pretty much done at that point. Thanks again.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    HP Color Laserjet 4500DN 13.6 Jams On Duplexing

I'd take a closer look at PS3103 and the drive to the duplex rollers.

If you require parts, most likely you're screwed. My manual is dated 1999. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=