Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Technician

HP Designjet 1050c printhead faulty

hello.
    we have a hp designjet 1050c that we found in an abandoned offices building.

first thing we noticed is that it had a leak of the magenta ink, we cut the tube and washed the mechanism with Alcohol.

we also seen that the carriage belt is torn. we bought a new belt and installed- works perfect.

the only issue remaining now is the machine keeps warning that the black printhead is faulty.

how can i tell if it is really faulty or i have another problem? the black cleaning pad on the cleaners is missing. does it have to do with the error?

i read online that it could also be a bad carriage assembly or air in the tube system, how can i tell which problem i'm having?

the yellow printhead also stated faulty but after a few in and outs it is now in OK status.

the black was at a reseat status, we cleaned the connectors with alcohol on both ends
    but it just went to faulty status.

so what should my next step be?

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

Re: HP Designjet 1050c printhead faulty

If the machine had been sitting unused for a while, you should assume all of the printheads are bad and replace them. If I were the tech working on it, I would have put new heads in the estimate.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Technician

you think?
    despite all the other printheads seems ok?

and the leaking also returned.
    is there any way to buy only the specific magenta mechanism instead of the full tube system?

Quote Originally Posted by Shayx View Post
    you think?
    despite all the other printheads seems ok?

and the leaking also returned.
    is there any way to buy only the specific magenta mechanism instead of the full tube system?
    No, the tube system is an assembly. The seals have dry rot. When powdered up they are pressurized. The tube system is easy.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    HP Designjet 1050c printhead faulty

Lightbulb Re: HP Designjet 1050c printhead faulty

This Parts & Service Manual can now be purchased for $12.77 and downloaded immediately after payment from:

http://www.justmanuals.com/designjet-1050c1055cm-series-parts-service-manual-p-23509.html?cPath=402_407
    sher-v2-parts-service-manualpdf-p-21980.html

Paul@justmanuals.com

Technician

so i need to spend 400$ because just one of the tubes is defective?

why can't i just order this valve assembly and replace the defective one?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Q1251-60265-D...-/370739579507

about the printheads - should a set of 4 printheads be more affordable than buying just one?

Quote Originally Posted by Shayx View Post
    so i need to spend 400$ because just one of the tubes is defective?

why can't i just order this valve assembly and replace the defective one?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Q1251-60265-D...-/370739579507

about the printheads - should a set of 4 printheads be more affordable than buying just one?
    If you want to piece it together, that's your call. That plotter is around 10 to 12 years old. If it has been sitting a while, there is probably other seals damaged. Keep in mind that if you get it running and pump air bubbles into the heads, you can fuck them up. As a tech working for a paying customer, I don't want to be back a few weeks later explaining why there is blue ink all over the floor. If you had said you had been using the plotter every week for the past year, I would say change the valve. You said you found it. You don't know when it last ran. I work for the military mainly, and sometimes these are put on a plane and shipped somewhere. I can't take chances. If you plan to use it for a long time, change the whole system. That is my advice.