Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

HP color laserjet 2600

HP 2600 , customer installed a new OEM black toner cartridge and now the machine says replace supplies. The black indicator is full but all colors show empty. Generic color toners. I have the manual and it says push the check mark to continue printing but am not getting it to print. Customer only uses black. Can I bypass color printing? Even tho customer only uses black I'm thinking the machine uses a small amount of color toner for each print job? AND all colors are now empty? Installing the OEM black cartridge triggered the non OEM color toner to show there empty state and now will not go to ready? Other than installing the other 3 color toners is there any other fix or do they just need to buy 3 more toners? It's odd the installing a oem black toner would make the other toners show empty. Any ideas. ??

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

Re: HP color laserjet 2600

It's been my experience with HP that all the colors have to have SOME toner in them.

Not sure why it suddenly came up when you put the black in. I don't remember how the 2600 checks toner levels. Is it possible that the transfer belt is old? If it checks toner during the calibration, then it would recalibrate when you put the black in. It looks at patches on the transfer belt during calibration and putting a new one in might have triggered something that way.

I'll tell you what. Customers can be pretty dumb. I had a machine in my shop and pulled the toners out of it and installed in her machine. Guess what??? It shows the level of toner in the carts I put in. Same as when in my shop machine. Machine goes to ready and I can print. Then customer tells me well now that I think about it we do make some color prints. So all they need to do is buy 3 color toners. You can only push the check button to print just so many times before it locks out? So if the toner light comes on replace the freaking toner.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    HP color laserjet 2600

There is an override option in the 2600 which might allow you away until you purchase new toners, just to let you away.

Cartridge Out Override can only be enabled from the printer's control panel menu.

• From the main menu, press (RIGHT ARROW) to System setup and press (SELECT).
    • Press (RIGHT ARROW) to Print quality and press (SELECT).
    • Press (RIGHT ARROW) to Replace supplies and press (SELECT).
    • Press (RIGHT ARROW) to Override out and press (SELECT).
    • Press (SELECT).

If Stop at out is selected, the printer will stop printing when a cartridge reaches the recommended replacement point. If Override out is selected, the printer will continue printing when a cartridge reaches the recommended replacement point. The factory default setting is Stop at out.

thanks for the info.