Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

M4345 Hung during firmware update--now DEAD

I replaced a formatter on a M4345 MFP. The IT wasn't there, and I didn't know how they wanted the network configured. The cust called back, and said they're having trouble connecting. I went back and worked with IT, and I honestly couldn't find any reason that it shouldn't work. Everything looked like it was supposed to look. We could even go to the http imbedded jetdirect page. But every job got hung up in the print queue. We could print from USB, but not from the network. Tried adding a jet direct card, and the same thing happened.

Finally, I thought maybe upgrading the firmware might help us. So I started that from the usb, using HP's easy upgrade program. Everything seemed to go well. Everything acted as though expected... except afterward, the printer LED stayed on "data" instead of "ready". We waited for about 10 minutes and finally decided to reboot the printer.

Now, it starts counting memory, and then stops. I don't remember the exact wording it said, but I think it was something like:

download rfu file,

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Wild Bill's Avatar

Re: M4345 Hung during firmware update--now DEAD

That easy up grade firmware failed that's why its asking for the rfu file. Get IT to upload it thru the USB and you should be good.
    Izzy

I tried to do a firmware update after this happened, and there's absolutely no response from the printer.

Although, I was using HP's easy update tool, and not downloading it through the DOS prompt. Maybe tomorrow I'll try it another way.

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Might want to see if the driver/software package could be reinstalled, too. One of the reasons HP installation software is that large is because it is supposed to take care of that sort of problem at installation.
    Or that could be stupid, sorry.

This problem just keeps getting worse.

Went back this morning to try and copy the file via USB. But the only response I get is "Device not ready"

When I try to install the firmware through HP's firmware tool, it sends the upgrade to the print queue on my computer, but it stops there.

So I figure, even though my vendor is making noise and swearing this can't be a defective new OEM board, I would go ahead and swap boards. Bingo. All the jobs lined up in the print queue spit out.

But now, the scanner won't work. When I start the machine, everything except the copier function works fine. There's a message on the control panel "scanner initializing."

The only thing that has changed since the scanner was working is the formatter. I can't see it being anything else but a bad formatter. And yes, it's new and it's OEM. This is driving me crazy. And I have a feeling the vendor is not going to replace it.

Anyone have ANY ideas on this?

Looks like you probably need a new scanner control board. It's the only way I've been able to fix the "Scanner Initializing" message the couple of times I've seen it.
    But here's something really easy that you might want to try:
    Turn the machine off, then unplug it from the wall for a couple of minutes. If the scanner control board has any life left in it, that might cause it to start operating properly until you get a new board.
    At least that worked fairly well for me last week when I had the "Scanner Initializing" message. My scanner control board hasn't come in yet, but as of right now no part ETA calls for that either.
    Hope that helps.
    Last edited by Iowatech; 03-18-2014 at 01:41 AM. Reason: Showing that I am going through something kind of similar right now.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    M4345 Hung during firmware update--now DEAD

download the rfu file from hp not the easy update tool. then ftp the printer from internet explorer. the scanner board may have not updated correctly when the fw upgrade failed with the easy tool. also to upgrade via usb the printer driver needs to be loaded to create the print port, to use the copy command in CMD.

Quote Originally Posted by faxman28 View Post
    download the rfu file from hp not the easy update tool. then ftp the printer from internet explorer. the scanner board may have not updated correctly when the fw upgrade failed with the easy tool. also to upgrade via usb the printer driver needs to be loaded to create the print port, to use the copy command in CMD.
    I never thought of that as a firmware problem, thanks!
    I'm going to try that when I go back to my machine as well.

If the firmware installation goes wrong, you can't use ftp because the printer won't communicate with the network. You can't use the command prompt either--the message comes back "device not ready." You can't use the HP easy update--it sends the firmware update to the print queue, and it stays there.

Technician

First thing , ljM4345mfp_fw_48_301_7.zip (51 MB) is the file name u got to download from hp support site.
    2 delete the printer driver from the pc, instal new printer whitout the usb cable connected (at connection type select "USB virtual port)
    3 connect printer and start uploading the RFU file.

I hope that will resolve your problem. For any other help pm me.