Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts Solotime's Avatar

LJ4350 High Pitch noise - much worse when using Tray1

As the title says we have a customer with an HP LaserJet 4350 that produces a light high pitch noise when printing normally out of tray 2 and 3. They could probably live with that. However, when printing from the Manual Feed / tray 1 the same noise gets much louder. Since this printer is in the front lobby the customers have even asked about it. I have tried swapping the fuser unit so far with no change. It does not appear to be a drive noise as the noise goes away once the paper exits the fuser but is still running. Also the noise does not start until the paper feeds and the printing process starts.
    Anyone seen this before?
    Thanks

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Re: LJ4350 High Pitch noise - much worse when using Tray1

Quote Originally Posted by Solotime View Post
    As the title says we have a customer with an HP LaserJet 4350 that produces a light high pitch noise when printing normally out of tray 2 and 3. They could probably live with that. However, when printing from the Manual Feed / tray 1 the same noise gets much louder. Since this printer is in the front lobby the customers have even asked about it. I have tried swapping the fuser unit so far with no change. It does not appear to be a drive noise as the noise goes away once the paper exits the fuser but is still running. Also the noise does not start until the paper feeds and the printing process starts.
    Anyone seen this before?
    Thanks
    usually the toner cart, generic/reman mainly. but have seen oem also do it. fuser usually makes grinding noise when swing plate gear wears out. Also had 4250/4350 noise from rear exit door (face up exit) there are 2 idler rollers on the door that cause squealing noise.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

I find a similar noise coming from the exit roller assembly from time to time. Have to disassemble all the rollers and bushings. Clean them good and add some new grease.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Wild Bill's Avatar

Since it is only happening while using tray 1... "Check tray 1 drive clutch."
    Izzy

Senior Tech 100+ Posts Solotime's Avatar

Called the customer and had them replace the toner cartridge....problem solved!
    Note it was making the noise on all trays just not as bad when using trays 2 and 3. That is why I did not suspect the cartridge. There must be something that changes in the printer when Tray 1 is used because the noise would get much worse.
    Thanks Faxman28!

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

If I'm imagining this correctly, the noise you're hearing is vibration of the drum cleaning blade while the drum is rotating. Over the years, different manufacturers have thought of a wide variety of solutions. The Mita DC213RE modified the drum cleaning blade mount to shoulder screws and added a few shims. Some of the small Canons did this if the enduser copied thousands of very low fill copies (not enough toner cleaned off the drum to properly lubricate the blade). Re-priming the blade would make this go away for a while, but with very low fill originals it can return.

Most likely if you had re-primed the drum blade it would have quieted down until it started getting a steady supply of waste toner to lubricate the blade.

The noise I'm thinking of is extremely high pitched, can vary in volume, and sets your teeth on edge, like fingernails on a chalkboard. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    The high pitch noise from the toner cartridge is the result of the primary charge roller. If the pcr is of the hard type the angle between the drum and the pcr can create a harmonic pitch from the charge applied. Also it is more to happen with a non weighted drum.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Technician

i think the machine prints a little slower from tray 1.

dreamz80

Quote Originally Posted by Solotime View Post
    Anyone seen this before?
    Thanks
    replace scanner of the printer...

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    i think the machine prints a little slower from tray 1.
    Yeah, everything goes slower when printing from tray 1 because the machine expects thicker paper from there... so it slows down and heats up the fuser. So the noise will change.