Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts Solotime's Avatar

M4345 Hangs on boot up

So I have read the service manual and online info about this problem. Since FN101 Main Fan is not turning I am assuming that it is either the fan or the power supply. My next step would be to go out to the customers office and pick up the unit and bring it in for further diagnosis as it sits in basically a closet with no room to work. What I am asking here is in these cases is it more likely just the fan or is the power supply the more common fault?
    In case it is needed here the machine goes through the ABCDEF "blocks" then as it goes through them again more quickly it stops at E.
    Thanks in advance!
    Edwin

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    M4345 Hangs on boot up

Re: M4345 Hangs on boot up

Quote Originally Posted by Solotime View Post
    So I have read the service manual and online info about this problem. Since FN101 Main Fan is not turning I am assuming that it is either the fan or the power supply. My next step would be to go out to the customers office and pick up the unit and bring it in for further diagnosis as it sits in basically a closet with no room to work. What I am asking here is in these cases is it more likely just the fan or is the power supply the more common fault?
    In case it is needed here the machine goes through the ABCDEF "blocks" then as it goes through them again more quickly it stops at E.
    Thanks in advance!
    Edwin
    its firmware issue , hdd, jdi issues, follow attached dochp boot sequence.pdf

I called the customer and asked them to check it again. They say it stops at 4/6 on the stages and the ABC are in black blocks. Nothing after that. My guide says Hard Disk is first. But when I was out there I disconnected the drive and power cycled the printer and got the same thing.

Service Manager 250+ Posts HP:guy's Avatar

The first and easiest is upgrade thew firmware.
    Then move on to the parts Possible power supply!

dreamz80

Thanks in advance!
    Edwin

hi,
    replace the formatter of your printer....

dreamz

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

Be careful with that firmware update. I've tried updating the firmware on one of those machines and somehow it messed up. I had to end up replacing the formatter because once the firmware screwed up, I could go no further with it. So you should, when talking to cust., let them know that if firmware doesn't work, you'll have to replace the formatter. Just so they're prepared for the more expensive fix.

I have the machine in my shop now and have removed the front covers and have access to FN101. It is not turning and there is less than 1 volt measured at the connector so this would seem to indicate that the power supply is bad. Unless firmware is not turning on the power.

Also the boot progress is at 6/6 and ABCDE are in black blocks and F is not.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    M4345 Hangs on boot up

Also the boot progress is at 6/6 and ABCDE are in black blocks and F is not.
    Try this

When powering up the HP LaserJet M4545 MFP, the printer will hang at the HP Logo, showing the boot-up stage of 6/6 E on the display. The display will also be dim. For the HP LaserJet 4345 MFP, only the HP Logo will show on a dim display as it does not show the specific boot-up stages.
    Also, the formatter heart beat led will flash and the DC Controller fan (fn104) will rotate, and the engine test will not print with or without the formatter installed.
    Figure 1: Hung Display

Solution:

Replace the appropriate engine power supply:

• Engine power supply assembly (100–127 volt): RM1-1041-040CN

You may also have issues with the formatter, as you said the customer reported a hang at 4/6 in the boot progress.

Thanks Faxman, this is exactly what the printer is doing. FN104 is NOT rotating but everything else is the same. No engine test print, Dark Display etc.