CopierJanitor/Geargluer 50+ Posts skinnypuppy's Avatar

Hp laserjet 5000 E10 2 error

Hello I am getting the E10 2 error The hard drive is plugged into slot 2, upon removing the hard drive the error goes away but printing is sketchy especially with pdf. It is a laptop IDE hard drive and does not show in my computer when I plug it in using a IDE to usb convertor . I suspect a defective drive, if so what size or anything other worth mentioning will this unit recognize or am I stuck using HP. Thank you

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

Re: Hp laserjet 5000 E10 2 error

I haven't replaced one on that machine but...

The last time I had to replace an old HP drive, I tried ghostwriting an image to get a new hard drive to work. It didn't work. I finally just bought one on ebay. But it wasn't OEM or anything. The seller was just taking new or old drives of the same size, and ghostwriting them and selling them. Not sure why his worked and mine didn't. But I'm committed to not messing with that stuff anymore unless I'm trying to get my own personal printer working. The cust will just pay for a new one from now on.

BTW - A lot of times Windows won't recognize these drives no matter what because they're not using FAT32 or NTFS.

Quote Originally Posted by theengel View Post
    I haven't replaced one on that machine but...

The last time I had to replace an old HP drive, I tried ghostwriting an image to get a new hard drive to work. It didn't work. I finally just bought one on ebay. But it wasn't OEM or anything. The seller was just taking new or old drives of the same size, and ghostwriting them and selling them. Not sure why his worked and mine didn't. But I'm committed to not messing with that stuff anymore unless I'm trying to get my own personal printer working. The cust will just pay for a new one from now on.

BTW - A lot of times Windows won't recognize these drives no matter what because they're not using FAT32 or NTFS.
    I would think they should still show up under disk management like any other drive I have attached to my laptop. I have attached non partitioned non formatted (raw) drives and they show up. The only reason I am perusing this is because The HP drives are way to expensive and to hard to come by for this model.
    I even tried to see if it would show up in UBUNTU no luck there either.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

What I would do ... is to read the specs off the existing drive, then google for replacement of the same manufacturer, size, and type. Then I would read in the HP manual how to format the HDD, and do that. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    What I would do ... is to read the specs off the existing drive, then google for replacement of the same manufacturer, size, and type. Then I would read in the HP manual how to format the HDD, and do that. =^..^=
    I do know that it is a 1.4gb drive made by HP
    There is no format function in the manual
    It is totally unclear what file structure they use
    Apparently some firmware my be preloaded on these hard drives in which case
    I have tried a 40gb partitioned to 20 in it ... hard drive error code
    I guess it is down to finding a 4gb or less or purchasing the oem
    Sad as this is a clients machine and there is really no way to tell if this will solve their problem until it is replaced.....
    I will let you know what comes of it ........
    Sometimes I think Alchemy would be a more suitable profession

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

For what it is worth, if that is a black and white machine the OEM part number for the hard drive is C2985A.
    From what I've seen, if the hard drive doesn't even show up in the Windows computer management pane, stick a fork in it, it's done. Time to replace the drive.
    Sorry.
    You might check the power cord for your disk adapter kit if the power brick doesn't have an LED indicator though. Mine went bad recently and wouldn't even power up the drive I was testing. Luckily my brick has an LED so it was pretty easy to tell what was going on.

Ok it turns out this drive is not recognized in windows disk management or Ubuntu. I removed the drive tapped it on the sides checked it under disk management (still not showing up) put it back in the printer and now it is listed again under the config page with no errors . I also noticed the plastic clips on the back of the formatter interface were gone leaving the board to bow out on one side.
    So far so good

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by skinnypuppy View Post
    Ok it turns out this drive is not recognized in windows disk management or Ubuntu. I removed the drive tapped it on the sides checked it under disk management (still not showing up) put it back in the printer and now it is listed again under the config page with no errors . I also noticed the plastic clips on the back of the formatter interface were gone leaving the board to bow out on one side.
    So far so good
    a few good whacks(or duct tape) will fix anything. If I remember correctly just put the new unformatted blank drive on the eio board and put it into the printer, you might need to do disk init. found this out when a customer didn't want to pay $400.00 for the hp eio drive. bought a 5 gig drive at the time put it on the eio board and it worked in the printer. the older hp printers used an embedded version of unix/Linux OS on the formatters(source from HP that used to test efi controllers for hp).