Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Trusted Tech 50+ Posts listsubscriber's Avatar

T1100 Generic Firmware Error

We get a 72:04 on our plotter. We tried updating the firmware per the manual's recommendation, but the computer just keeps popping up a blank IE 9 or Chrome browser. The URL never loads. We use the HP Utility to try the upgrade.

Well we also tried running the tests in service mode. We can do the I/O test, but the test never finds our network card that's installed in the machine. It says no cards detected for the test and then shuts down the machine. Interestingly enough, we can't shut the machine down once it boots up with the 72:04 error. It will say it's shutting down, but NEVER shuts down. We let it sit for 72 hours and still no shutdown.

Next we tried running the Electronics Module test.
    - Starting Horsburgh and Mips.
    - Starting Nvm.
    - Accessing Nvm
    Then the machine goes back to 72:04! Is replacing the Electronics Module the way to go? Or should we start with the formatter?

Thanks.

Re: T1100 Generic Firmware Error

Do you mean 72.04 or 79.04?

72.04 is a calibration error. 79.04 is firmware error.

Quote Originally Posted by KJEpps View Post
    Do you mean 72.04 or 79.04?

72.04 is a calibration error. 79.04 is firmware error.

72.04 is what we get. The manual for the t1100 shows 72:xy as generic firmware error. The two solutions are power off, remove power cord, turn the machine back on. If that doesn't work, then update the firmware. Neither solution got the machine functioning again.

Quote Originally Posted by listsubscriber View Post
    72.04 is what we get. The manual for the t1100 shows 72:xy as generic firmware error. The two solutions are power off, remove power cord, turn the machine back on. If that doesn't work, then update the firmware. Neither solution got the machine functioning again.
    My service manual shows the 72:xy as a Calibration Error. Is yours a user manual? Don't know which one has the typo, but your manual might be sending you in the wrong direction.

The service manual says that for 72:xy there should be an internal error code. To see it, press UP and CANCEL together while the error code is displayed. The code should look something like this:
    0x07090001

The code ending in 1 or 2 indicates you need to calibrate the Line Sensor. Ending in 3 - Drop Detect calibration. Ending in 4 or 8 - Paper Advance calibration. Ending in 5 - Printhead Alignment calibration.

(HP has used the number "79" as there code for Firmware Errors across many models for many years, but hey, they've been know to switch it up from time to time.)

If you do in fact have a Firmware Error, I would suggest obtaining a service manual. Mine has 14 pages dedicated to troubleshooting the 79:04.

Hmmm, we have the service manual. It is the service manual for the T1100/T1100ps/T610 designjets. In the manual we have 72:yz and 79:yz say the exact same thing, Generic Firmware Error and both have the exact same error & remedies listed:

Generic Firmware error.
    Corrective Action: Try the following:
    -- Switch the Power OFF from the back of the Printer and disconnect the
    Power cord. Reconnect the power cord and power On the Printer.
    -- Check that the Printer has the latest Firmware version. If not, update the

Firmware to the latest version.

Very strange. This is where I got the manual. http://www.lpscomputer.com/ec/Design...ice_manual.pdf
    On the cover page it says, Version 6, March 19, 2009. What is the version of your manual?

I see 2 copies of the manual on ctn.net so I'll see if they are different. Hopefully one of the listed calibrations is all it needs. Very interesting that the service tests would not run for the engine. If a calibration is all the machine required, it appears the computers in the office could still see the machine listed in Devices and Printers?? No computers can see the machine and the router doesn't show it in the list of connected network devices. Very interesting!

Thanks for the help and clarification of the different manual for this model.

Sounds like you have a very strange problem. Hope you can get it squared away. If you remember, update this thread when you figure it out.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    T1100 Generic Firmware Error

I'm just curious; do you have an optional I/O card installed? I assume you've tried removing it if it there is one to see if it's the problem.

Otherwise, I'd suspect the formatter board since the built in NIC is on it. I'd also listen to it when powering it on to see if the hard drive is clicking; could be a bad drive, and that's an easy fix.

There's some formatter boards on ebay.. around $400. Given what you've said about the networking not working, it sounds like the NIC is bad and causing the formatter to crash. I hate that they didn't make the NIC modular on these.

I think you can disable the built in NIC, unless the error is preventing you from getting anywhere. Another catch 22.

Only other idea I have is try putting that formatter in another printer, if you can find one and someone who'll let you try it. Just as a test.

Kiran

Thanks for all your help. New engine pcb and formatter took care of the problem. Tried the drive off the old formatter and it was dead as well. We are putting again! Thanks again for your assistance!